ditching X10
My dust collector is mounted high on the wall with the receptacle it is plugged into up there too. I've been using an X10 remote control for on and off but it works only intermittently and all I really need is a manual switch I can reach. My dream setup would be a pull switch hanging from a joist in the center of the shop and I would just snake the pull rope along the ceiling over to that outlet. More work would be to reroute wiring and have a drop down switch of some type hanging from that central joist.

I am open to suggestions from the electrically inclined brain trust here. What specific product would plug in between the motor and the outlet that I can switch on of off from a distance? I think this is a 220 20 amp circuit.

Second best would be trouble shooting the X10 remote setup which simply does not trigger anything 80% of the time I depress the button.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
You want this thread here, or Power Tools?
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(08-16-2019, 12:09 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: My dust collector is mounted high on the wall with the receptacle it is plugged into up there too. I've been using an X10 remote control for on and off but it works only intermittently and all I really need is a manual switch I can reach. My dream setup would be a pull switch hanging from a joist in the center of the shop and I would just snake the pull rope along the ceiling over to that outlet. More work would be to reroute wiring and have a drop down switch of some type hanging from that central joist.

I am open to suggestions from the electrically inclined brain trust here. What specific product would plug in between the motor and the outlet that I can switch on of off from a distance? I think this is a 220 20 amp circuit.

Second best would be trouble shooting the X10 remote setup which simply does not trigger anything 80% of the time I depress the button.

I've used the long ranger for the past 10 years without issue.  They make a 220 version.
Well, Bye...
(08-16-2019, 12:25 PM)Mags® Wrote: I've used the long ranger for the past 10 years without issue.  They make a 220 version.

Me too
Signature
(08-16-2019, 12:25 PM)Mags® Wrote: I've used the long ranger for the past 10 years without issue.  They make a 220 version.

+1
Again, believe what you will. I'm a good deal more informed than you. - Snipe Hunter

Wisdom has been chasing you, you have always been faster.

(08-16-2019, 12:09 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: My dust collector is mounted high on the wall with the receptacle it is plugged into up there too. I've been using an X10 remote control for on and off but it works only intermittently and all I really need is a manual switch I can reach. My dream setup would be a pull switch hanging from a joist in the center of the shop and I would just snake the pull rope along the ceiling over to that outlet. More work would be to reroute wiring and have a drop down switch of some type hanging from that central joist.

sent you a PM
Brian
Long ranger 220 here, too.
Okay by me to move the thread to Power Tools.

My shop is small and reaching for a switch just makes more sense than a remote control that is unreliable. I forgot to mention that I am sometimes in the shop nowhere near the remote and the system turns on, probably from some neighbor doing something. This is another reason to ditch X10.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Another long ranger user. Never had any flakeiness with it. Carry the remote in a pocket.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have a pair of Long Rangers--both 120v. One in the garage, one in the basement. Both work from 40' +, when facing the wrong direction. (it was a test--and they passed). No interference with the 2 garage door openers. The one in the garage replaced a WW store brand--never had good luck with that one. Thankfully a power surge destroyed it and insurance bought my first Long Ranger. I've not done the 240v version of Long Ranger, but can't imagine it would be any less quality.
Good luck,
earl