Thoughts on a miter saw stand
I'm making a miter saw stand from a repurposed base cabinet about 4' wide.   This will be used by various people at various skill levels at a volunteer organization, mostly to cut 8' 2x4 and 2x6 down to shorter length.   I'm probably overthinking pondering where to position the saw relative to the wings.   I am right handed and normally hold the resulting stock to the left of the blade and eyeball where the blade will cut to the right of the mark.  

Now, given this, would you put more or less of the table to the right of the blade, or would you just center it?    The wings will probably be made of a section of 8' plywood.  Sometimes we'll be cutting resulting 90 inch boards and sometimes 14.

My two miter saws at home are a giant pain to cut with my left hand because my thumb to release the safety on the trigger is on the wrong side.  I am predicting 90% of the people using the saw are right handed, though the shop boss is a southpaw.
(08-19-2019, 07:59 PM)bhh Wrote: I'm making a miter saw stand from a repurposed base cabinet about 4' wide.   This will be used by various people at various skill levels at a volunteer organization, mostly to cut 8' 2x4 and 2x6 down to shorter length.   I'm probably overthinking pondering where to position the saw relative to the wings.   I am right handed and normally hold the resulting stock to the left of the blade and eyeball where the blade will cut to the right of the mark.  

Now, given this, would you put more or less of the table to the right of the blade, or would you just center it?    The wings will probably be made of a section of 8' plywood.  Sometimes we'll be cutting resulting 90 inch boards and sometimes 14.

My two miter saws at home are a giant pain to cut with my left hand because my thumb to release the safety on the trigger is on the wrong side.  I am predicting 90% of the people using the saw are right handed, though the shop boss is a southpaw.

I use a dewalt saw with the over blade led light so I know exactly where it will cut as it casts a perfect shadow. I like the extra space on the left and I am right handed. You could make it modular and add on wings that side in the end as needed. I like the kreg fence track if you are looking for a fence solution with sliding stops.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(08-19-2019, 07:59 PM)bhh Wrote: I'm making a miter saw stand from a repurposed base cabinet about 4' wide.   This will be used by various people at various skill levels at a volunteer organization, mostly to cut 8' 2x4 and 2x6 down to shorter length.   I'm probably overthinking pondering where to position the saw relative to the wings.   I am right handed and normally hold the resulting stock to the left of the blade and eyeball where the blade will cut to the right of the mark.  

Is this stand going to be on casters? My first inclination would be to add a wing to each side and make then so they can be folded down when not needed. You could make them as long as possible so they clear the floor when folded down or you could make them shorter and add a telescoping section if needed.
(08-20-2019, 08:33 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Is this stand going to be on casters? My first inclination would be to add a wing to each side and make then so they can be folded down when not needed. You could make them as long as possible so they clear the floor when folded down or you could make them shorter and add a telescoping section if needed.
No need to be mobile, at the moment.   Repurposing a base cabinet.   We have about 5000 sq ft to put it in.