Another wood ID request

Several years back I was in the Biggest Little City making a donation at a local resort and I saw an add on Craigslist for oak 2 X 4's.  I picked up a dozen of them, the guy said they were used on a construction site.  The wood was very green, so I painted the ends and set them aside.  Well I finally got around to milling some of it up, and it looks like no oak I have ever seen.  It is very heavy and hard.  Any thoughts on what it might be?

Re: Another wood ID request by farmerj111 (Several years back I...)
My knee jerk reaction is that it's poplar. However, you said it's very heavy and hard. So that makes me re-think my answer.
I don't think it's poplar or oak. You say it was green when you got it so I'd guess it is something local to your area so a location would help. The two boards on the right look spalted to me, but that doesn't help much with an ID.

Phil
Spalted maple is my guess
I have some hackberry that looks similar to that.  Not an exact match, but very close.  And it is heavy and hard.
I picked it up in Reno NV.  It's so hard I don't think it's spalting, as I thought that took weight out of the wood.  I did see some ambrosia maple that reminded me of it, so I thought it might be a fungus.

I've never heard of hackberry, but I have lots of poplar, and it is far heavier than that.
Guys may disagree with me but sure looks like some thicker Hickory that I’ve seen local Ohio here before.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
I don't think hickory grows on the west coast, but who really knows where it came from.  I bought if from a guy in a very small trailer park who said he was using it to whittle knife handles.

I think I might take it down to my local hardwood dealer and see what they think.  I just found it very interesting looking, and wondered what it could be.
Spalted maple is my guess too
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
May be spalted Hard Maple
Steve