Another wood ID request
(08-21-2019, 07:55 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: Hmm, if it is really hickory I could use that in my smoker.  I think i need to burn a little of it.  I'm going to pull out another board and clean it up and post a new pic tomorrow.

If you really want to know, you could try this:
Hank Gillette
(08-20-2019, 01:46 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: Several years back I was in the Biggest Little City making a donation at a local resort and I saw an add on Craigslist for oak 2 X 4's.  I picked up a dozen of them, the guy said they were used on a construction site.  The wood was very green, so I painted the ends and set them aside.  Well I finally got around to milling some of it up, and it looks like no oak I have ever seen.  It is very heavy and hard.  Any thoughts on what it might be?

[Image: MB8XpRe.jpg]
[Image: A5qc98U.jpg]
[Image: SnehYmQ.jpg]
Sweet Gum.......?
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-21-2019, 01:41 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: I think I'll just call it ambrosia hickberry. 
Laugh

I think you nailed it!
Smile
My first vote is for hickory-ish as well. I happen to be working with a lot of hickory at the moment and some of it looks similar to those pictures.
But most of what I have does not look like those pictures.
Also, I have color-deficient vision, so take my opine with a lot of salt.
Ray
Well I think I solved this one, I milled up a new piece and it is......oak!  Looks and smells like oak, so I think the first piece must of had some fungus or virus or something that made it look so strange.  Here's the new piece.

[Image: j2Yv2qC.jpg]
(08-23-2019, 04:04 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: Well I think I solved this one, I milled up a new piece and it is......oak!  Looks and smells like oak, so I think the first piece must of had some fungus or virus or something that made it look so strange.  Here's the new piece.

I agree this one is Oak, The others Look different, I think not all are the same woods, at least from the pictures it's harder to say
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Oh yeah, that last pic is definitely oak. Somebody earlier said laurel oak, which that well may be. It can develop something like spalting.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I mentioned Laurel Oak. Around here, they’ll often die standing and are spalted beautifully when down.
You can tell as the bark turns a bluish grey.
If you catch it right, it’s outstanding otherwise too punky.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(08-24-2019, 08:55 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I agree this one is Oak, The others Look different, I think not all are the same woods, at least from the pictures it's harder to say

Yes, I think you may be right.  I'm so familiar with the smell of oak, and the first board did not have it.  Oak is very common here in the N. CA foothills, I must have 30 oaks in my yard.