Well
Not sure anyone will have input on this one.  At my daughter and SiL's house, there is an uncapped well in their backyard.  It appears to be a water well, maybe used before they had city water (it is an old house), or maybe previous owners used it for the sprinkling system, not sure.  I have not been able to find anything at HD to fit it and have no idea where to buy a well head cap.  I lost the darn measurement of OD, but by memory it looks to be about 6 inches.  It looks to be about 25 feet deep and my SiL said he is going to fill it in with sand - they have lived there now three years and it is still an open well.  Any suggestions?  Thank you as always...FPT
try calling a well drilling company, they should have a cap for it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Amazon 6" well cap
If the well is be abandoned it should be sealed with grout to prevent contamination of the aquifer by whatever may be on the surface. A phone call to a well driller should give you the requirements.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
In Wisconsin when city water is run to a house with a well you must either permantly seal the well or have it dedicated to watering only. Must be sealed as mentioned above. A cap only is not legal. Might as well do it right now. If not some day when the house is sold an inspector should definitly ding it and make you do it per code. Depending on the amount of watering they do and the water rate charged it might be worthwhile to have that kind of setup.
6" is a common pipe size but there is also a slightly larger size that is also common as they sometimes use pipe leftover from the oil and gas industry as it's cheap as well as the bits. 

I have a 100' 4" diameter well that I found at our house and it is now used for irrigation. If you ever have a well drilled never ever drill a 4" hole. pumps for 4" wells are stupid expensive for a good one compared to pumps for larger pipe. Always a submersible and never a jet pump. My well produces around 10GPM even at the end of summer. It doesn't rain for months on end here.

Check the well out and see if it can be used for irrigation. Even if you don't want to use it just cap it off with a seal. Only an person would ruin a perfectly good well. Wells are very expensive to drill and a hole in the ground that produces water is a huge property value increaser.
(08-21-2019, 08:23 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: 6" is a common pipe size but there is also a slightly larger size that is also common as they sometimes use pipe leftover from the oil and gas industry as it's cheap as well as the bits. 

I have a 100' 4" diameter well that I found at our house and it is now used for irrigation. If you ever have a well drilled never ever drill a 4" hole. pumps for 4" wells are stupid expensive for a good one compared to pumps for larger pipe. Always a submersible and never a jet pump. My well produces around 10GPM even at the end of summer. It doesn't rain for months on end here.

Check the well out and see if it can be used for irrigation. Even if you don't want to use it just cap it off with a seal. Only an person would ruin a perfectly good well. Wells are very expensive to drill and a hole in the ground that produces water is a huge property value increaser.
 During my lifetime I've had to fill two dug wells. The first was to required for approval of a drilled well. The second was because it was too close to a proposed leach field and moving the well was easier than any of the other alternatives.

B.T.W. a while ago I replied on a thread with a quote; "Those of you who continually try to make things person proof, have greatly underestimated the abilities of us idiots". It kind of lost the point during editing.
I guess a group of idiots are ok, you can't have just one.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(08-21-2019, 09:59 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I guess a group of idiots are ok, you can't have just one.

Our various governments prove that everyday. Back to the well...like Robert said, using an abandoned well for irrigation makes a lot of sense; it's very common in our part of the country. But if that's not the case, there are almost certainly regulations on what must be done...and I'd bet it's more than a cap.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a neighbor who wishes he had never said anything about a system on his place he had for 40 years.

That being said (Or un-clearly said), just fill it, cap it, and make it safe.
If you can find the right sized cap, just cap it. Otherwise, you are opening up a can of worms as to what regulations may or may not require. Also, with climate change occurring, having a well for irrigation is a positive for the property in my book.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis