Block Plane?
My little bronze LN 102 low angle block plane is easily the most used plane in my shop. It is a basic plane with no mouth adjustment, but it its capable of very fine work. I have a LN 60 1/2 with the adjustable mouth, but I seldom use it. I like the small size of the little 102 better than the larger, heavier 60 1/2 and the 102 is much more comfortable in my hand. I also have an older Stanley 60 1/2 that I use for rough work and a couple of other large Stanleys that I never use. LN used to make a little bronze standard angle 103, but I don't see it on their web site anymore. I thought several times about ordering one, but never found an application where I thought it would work better than the 102. I also have a pair of LN 140 skew block planes. At first glance, one might think they would be the best of all worlds - skewed bladed, removable sides so they can be used with the iron flush with the side to get into corners, etc. But like Derek's observation about the rabbet block plane, these are specialty tools and don't perform well as a standard block plane. I would avoid them for a first - or even a second or third block plane acquisition. There are probably situations where a standard angle bock plane would perform better than a low angle one, but I've not run into one. I think the OP would be well satisfied with any of the good low angle block planes on the market these days. They are very handy tools, so my advice is not to scrimp and pinch pennies with this plane. Get a good and you'll appreciate it for along time.
(08-26-2019, 11:23 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: My little bronze LN 102 low angle block plane is easily the most used plane in my shop. It is a basic plane with no mouth adjustment, but it its capable of very fine work. I have a LN 60 1/2 with the adjustable mouth, but I seldom use it. I like the small size of the little 102 better than the larger, heavier 60 1/2 and the 102 is much more comfortable in my hand. I also have an older Stanley 60 1/2 that I use for rough work and a couple of other large Stanleys that I never use. LN used to make a little bronze standard angle 103, but I don't see it on their web site anymore. I thought several times about ordering one, but never found an application where I thought it would work better than the 102. I also have a pair of LN 140 skew block planes. At first glance, one might think they would be the best of all worlds - skewed bladed, removable sides so they can be used with the iron flush with the side to get into corners, etc. But like Derek's observation about the rabbet block plane, these are specialty tools and don't perform well as a standard block plane. I would avoid them for a first - or even a second or third block plane acquisition. There are probably situations where a standard angle bock plane would perform better than a low angle one, but I've not run into one. I think the OP would be well satisfied with any of the good low angle block planes on the market these days. They are very handy tools, so my advice is not to scrimp and pinch pennies with this plane. Get a good and you'll appreciate it for along time.

LIL
I haven't seen a pic posted of this little guy yet..I call it the "Sargent Baby-Shoe" block plane because of it's size and similarity to shoes babies used to wear.

[Image: fullsizeoutput-8d1.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-8ce.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

95% of the block planes I have on hand...were only a $1....they are easy to sharpen, 1 or 2 hands to use.   I use both standard and low angle planes....which ever is handy, and sharpest at the time...mainly for use on smaller, narrower items....or, when trimming plugs flush in counter-bored holes. 

I don't have any "rabbit planes"......I use a #78.  Don't need a fence rattling on the side of a small block plane, when my fingers will do the same jobs.   IF a piece is too small for the #3 handplanes I have,  I will use a block plane, instead.

IF you like toting around a "2 ton Tessie" in your work apron....that is up to you.   I prefer the lighter weight planes....back and shoulders are happier at the end of a day of pushing planes around.   I like a block plane that is light, and nimble and fits my hands.  

I do have one of the #118 all steel block planes.....in fact, watched it bounce and slide around the bench, and then right on to the concrete floor 3' below...reset the adjustments, and back to work.  Angle is between the Standard angle, and a Low angle plane.  

Of the 2 Stanley #60-1/2 block planes I own, one is still in it's original box.....haven't work out the first one, yet.

Have tried the 2-in-1 No. 130....painful on the hand to use....quickly sold it....
have even made an "Edge Plane"...

Traditional Chinese Edge plane...with a thick, skewed cutter/iron,  and a fence..

Was..ok. except no depth stop, nor a knicker.   But it worked nice, otherwise. 

Had the original Stanley No. 102.....was too small for my hands to hold on to it.   Right now, there is a #202 in the shop....don't really like the flimsy lever adjuster...

Block planes are not a do it all...but they are a part of an all-around kit of planes.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-26-2019, 01:35 PM)bandit571 Wrote: 95% of the block planes I have on hand...were only a $1....they are easy to sharpen, 1 or 2 hands to use.   I use both standard and low angle planes....which ever is handy, and sharpest at the time...mainly for use on smaller, narrower items....or, when trimming plugs flush in counter-bored holes. 

I don't have any "rabbit planes"......I use a #78.  Don't need a fence rattling on the side of a small block plane, when my fingers will do the same jobs.   IF a piece is too small for the #3 handplanes I have,  I will use a block plane, instead.

IF you like toting around a "2 ton Tessie" in your work apron....that is up to you.   I prefer the lighter weight planes....back and shoulders are happier at the end of a day of pushing planes around.   I like a block plane that is light, and nimble and fits my hands.  

I do have one of the #118 all steel block planes.....in fact, watched it bounce and slide around the bench, and then right on to the concrete floor 3' below...reset the adjustments, and back to work.  Angle is between the Standard angle, and a Low angle plane.  

Of the 2 Stanley #60-1/2 block planes I own, one is still in it's original box.....haven't work out the first one, yet.

Have tried the 2-in-1 No. 130....painful on the hand to use....quickly sold it....
have even made an "Edge Plane"...

Traditional Chinese Edge plane...with a thick, skewed cutter/iron,  and a fence..

Was..ok. except no depth stop, nor a knicker.   But it worked nice, otherwise. 

Had the original Stanley No. 102.....was too small for my hands to hold on to it.   Right now, there is a #202 in the shop....don't really like the flimsy lever adjuster...

Block planes are not a do it all...but they are a part of an all-around kit of planes.
Ten years ago the Stanley #65 was the Big Dog everybody wanted, and they were bringing high prices...I still think they fit my hand better than most of the smaller blocks.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-26-2019, 11:23 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: They are very handy tools, so my advice is not to scrimp and pinch pennies with this plane. Get a good and you'll appreciate it for along time.

Wise advice for most woodworking tools and for most people unless you're like Bandit who has the skill and time to fix a poor performing block plane. I don't have a lot of time, and always buy new, premium tools so I could use them without fuss.

Simon
Not that I do a ton of woodworking projects - i found i used my block plane for home improvement projects more than furniture based.

With that said l, it really is about comfort. My favorites are the LN103 and Veritas apron plane.

If I had bigger paws I’m sure I would prefer the 60 1/2.

IMO, I wouldn’t over think the block plane purchase - save that for the BU-v-BD bench plane debate
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
Just get one and start makin sawdust!
Derek, sure wish I would have bought the veritas nx60 fancy one when it was available. It would definitely be just for the looks as I have others to use for sure. Its one of my ww regrets. I too love that ss pocket plane too.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(08-27-2019, 10:22 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Derek, sure wish I would have bought the veritas nx60 fancy one when it was available. It would definitely  be just for the looks as I have others to use for sure. Its one of my ww regrets. I too love that ss pocket plane too.

The looks of the NX60 did not appeal to me.....but while visiting a Lee Valley store some time ago, I had the opportunity to hold one. It was made just for me!

I have tool problems of all kinds: stupid jigs bought decades ago that never worked, the LN rabbet block plane that causes me to leak all the time (now I know why the guy I bought it from sold itso cheap) and so forth. Buying block planes is not one of them-they all get used!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-27-2019, 10:22 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Derek, sure wish I would have bought the veritas nx60 fancy one when it was available. It would definitely  be just for the looks as I have others to use for sure. Its one of my ww regrets. I too love that ss pocket plane too.

Mike, I mentioned in my review of this plane that I had an early version in my shop for testing about a year before the DX/NX60 went into production. It went back to Canada as it was only one of three available for evaluation. My comment in the review was that sending it back was like giving up heroin
Smile  What a gorgeous block plane in all areas - looks, construction, features, and ergonomics. If I could have just one block plane, this is it.

My wife likens it to a Porsche ...

[Image: Veritas-Premium-Block-Plane-html-7ce481f7.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com