Cooling My Garage
Start with the economical solutions... You did not mention the presence ( or absence ) of
insulation. That is a one time cost that pays for itself over and over again, forever. Also, if
you can get access to the attic/roof "underside" consider installing some atticfoil.

https://atticfoil.com/?gclid=eaiaiqobchm...glocvd_bwe

When my shop was still in the construction phases, I installed this product. It was an eye
opener to simply stand underneath an area of the roof that did or did not have the foil
installed. The radiant heating coming off the roof in the summer sun was amazing. Once the
foil was in place it stayed noticeably cooler right away.  Sure, I later added the usual pink
fiberglass and it works as well, but I am glad to have both!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I can design just for you, a 18k btu variable speed heat pump split system, with directional ducting, venturi effect filtration system in the supply plenum (Filters existing air any time the indoor blower is running), a tri-filter system of 2-1" pre-filters and a 4" hepa merv 11 secondary, humidity control, 4 area sensors, fire shut down sensor, auto heat and cool changeover, wifi controlled, outdoor temp sensor, drain overflow protection and monitor/alert, 10 years all parts warranty- for only 9,000 bucks. (We choose brand).

But wait!;  I'll double the offer for 24,000 bucks and a free toaster!!!  You heard that right- a free toaster!!!

Hurry! Write me a check before I change my mind!

(*Subject to local and other taxes and permits, labor extra, materials extra, startup extra, prices subject to change at any time, no labor warranty after 90 days- no signed contracts).

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

That window units looking pretty good now ain't it?
I got the same answer about mini splits from a large HVAC contractor here in middle Tennessee. He explained that the systems were not designed for shop use due to the relatively large amount of airborne dust.

In my shop I have a unit similar to those found in many hotel rooms. It's a heat pump unit built into the wall (which you may or may not be able to do). I use it primarily to keep the shop at least 40 degrees in the winter since there are water lines. On occasion I use the ac in the summer especially if it's really humid and I need paint or finishes to dry more quickly.

The cost for that unit was about $850 11 years ago. No idea what they go for now.
All I can say is when I lived in Charlotte (pretty hot there for a Yankee's blood), I had a 30 x 20 shop in a walk out basement with a southern exposure (yeah, a basement!) that had a window.  It got pretty hot down there, and I just bought a 5k btu window unit which kept it cool enough (600 sq ft with a 12 foot high ceiling) to work in.  Six years later I moved back north, but I still have the AC unit, after lending it out to both of my neices who lived in Hoboken and needed to cool their apartments....  So my experience is don't confuse yourself; get a 10K btu unit for $350-400 and figure out a way to install it and call it a day.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
To me this is a no-brainer with a quote like that - borderline rip off IMO.  I had a 5 ton replacement system installed in my shop for <$5K.

Cut a hole in the wall, put a big window unit in, like 18,000BTU you should be able to get it for <$500.

You'll have to run 220.  Mount it up high.

Then buy an air filtration unit and hang it from the ceiling.
(08-28-2019, 09:51 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: To me this is a no-brainer with a quote like that - borderline rip off IMO.  I had a 5 ton replacement system installed in my shop for <$5K.

Cut a hole in the wall, put a big window unit in, like 18,000BTU you should be able to get it for <$500.

You'll have to run 220.  Mount it up high.

Then buy an air filtration unit and hang it from the ceiling.

As others have suggested, this or similar looks to be the winner.  The rationale that the shop is too dusty doesn’t really factor into it because either:
1. He is incorrect
    Or...
2. He is correct, which means your major problem is actually unhealthy breathing conditions in your shop which should be remediated first....  and THEN... go to #1.