hiring someone vintage jointer adjustment
I have a vintage oliver 8" jointer that I haven't been able to setup properly (the manual is more of an advertisement). I'm trying to figure out if there is a profession that come to shops to fix/tune equipment. I'm to the point where shimming isn't helping too much. Hiring out 2-3 shop hours would still be cheaper than buying all the machinist tools necessary.
(08-22-2019, 10:10 PM)Destinmatt Wrote: I have a vintage oliver 8" jointer that I haven't been able to setup properly (the manual is more of an advertisement). I'm trying to figure out if there is a profession that come to shops to fix/tune equipment. I'm to the point where shimming isn't helping too much. Hiring out 2-3 shop hours would still be cheaper than buying all the machinist tools necessary.

You haven't described the problem. Usually jointer problems are blade height related . You mention shimming so I'll assume the pillow block bearings are a problem. If the bearings are good, motor good , possibly the tables are not correctly set up. The infeed and outfeed tables should be in a straight line when the infeed table is raised to meet the outfeed table. Maybe this is what you are shimming? You do not need machinist tools to set up your jointer. A decent straightedge to check the tables are co-planer, a piece of 1/4" thick glass and a 50lb or more pull magnet is all you need.
First make the tables co-planer, shim if you have to. Now you are ready to set the blades for height. Unplug jointer, place glass on outfeed table overhanging the cutter head. Loosen the jib screws just enough so the blade will move up or down. Place magnet over the center of the cutter head near top dead center. The magnet will pull the blade up to the bottom of the glass, you will hear a click sound. Rock the cutter head slightly til the bevel on the blade is flat against the glass. I snug up the two center jib locking screws first, then the outside ones. Then tighten all screws. Repeat on the other two or three blades. Take a test cut. 
The glass I use is from a jalousie window, the magnet from Harbor Freight years ago. 

mike
There are people that tune up jointers.  Finding someone local may be a problem, but I would start here or on OWWM to see where to find someone.
I don't see your location in your profile and specific advice will be local.

For instance, in Los Angeles we call Jesse at Eagle Tools who has a group (3-4) of independent techs.

Start with whoever is your local independent seller of WW machinery.
I'd guess location in the FL panhandle, from Matt's name.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis