Jig for Triangle Peg Game
Our Guild will have a demonstration at the State Fair having visitors drill holes for a triangle peg game using a bench top drill press.

I can't get my head wrapped around how to position the triangular shaped board for the holes.

The jig must be easy to use, quick to position for the 15 holes and securely hold the workpiece.

We have visitors with lots of experience doing it just for fun and novices who have never used a tool.

Thanks, Bill
When I was a Cub Scout assistant leader, we made those for sale at a local event. We had a draftsman draw the plans for the jig, and a machinist who made 4 of them from aluminum (this was about 40 years ago). Anyway, picture a square or rectangular piece of wood with a 1" deep sidewall around it (like maybe a serving tray). Then cut off one corner the depth of your wood triangles (our triangle was equilateral).  Drill the guide holes into the bottom and you're done. (I really hope that made sense....even moreso, I hope I understood the question
Laugh ). We used golf tees for the pegs, and sized the holes to fit them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If I understand the question, you want to give equilateral triangular boards to visitors, and have them be able to drill precise holes.

Make a tray with a rim that surrounds and fits the triangular board tightly.  You might want two precise sides and one with a wedge to lock the blank in.  On the bottom of the tray, precisely drill the array of holes you want.  On the drillpress table, mount a pin directly below and in line with the quill, that fits into the registration holes on the bottom of the tray.  The pin should fit alignment holes snugly, but have a rounded top.

To use it, the visitor locks the board blank into the tray, slides it until it drops into position on the pin, drills to the correct depth, and repeats for the whole pattern.
(08-24-2019, 09:09 AM)wjt Wrote: Our Guild will have a demonstration at the State Fair having visitors drill holes for a triangle peg game using a bench top drill press.

I can't get my head wrapped around how to position the triangular shaped board for the holes.

The jig must be easy to use, quick to position for the 15 holes and securely hold the workpiece.

We have visitors with lots of experience doing it just for fun and novices who have never used a tool.

Thanks, Bill

Bill

I use  some spray adhesive and a printed piece of paper. Once holes are done, remove paper and lightly sand.

Bud
I sent you a link to a new version of the full size pattern and "plan". I hope it helps.
(08-26-2019, 11:15 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I sent you a link to a new version of the full size pattern and "plan". I hope it helps.

Dave:

I received the last version of the pdf you created. It has been downloaded and passed on to our Guild member doing the drill press demo.

Thanks much for the assist. I will update after the Fair.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I look forward to hearing how it went. Good luck at the fair and eat something fried on a stick for me.
(08-26-2019, 09:20 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Thanks Bill. I look forward to hearing how it went. Good luck at the fair and eat something fried on a stick for me.

Dave:

We have two of the jigs made based on your pattern. We will be at the Fair next Sunday.

The photo is of the jig I made. I was able to use it successfully so it should be a snap for our visitors. It will be kept in our Guild's arsenal for other events.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-08-2019, 09:58 PM)wjt Wrote: Dave:

We have two of the jigs made based on your pattern. We will be at the Fair next Sunday.

The photo is of the jig I made. I was able to use it successfully so it should be a snap for our visitors. It will be kept in our Guild's arsenal for other events.

Bill

Excellent! I'm happy to hear that it worked out. Good luck on Sunday.
(08-25-2019, 01:27 PM)Alan S Wrote: If I understand the question, you want to give equilateral triangular boards to visitors, and have them be able to drill precise holes.

Make a tray with a rim that surrounds and fits the triangular board tightly.  You might want two precise sides and one with a wedge to lock the blank in.  On the bottom of the tray, precisely drill the array of holes you want.  On the drillpress table, mount a pin directly below and in line with the quill, that fits into the registration holes on the bottom of the tray.  The pin should fit alignment holes snugly, but have a rounded top.

To use it, the visitor locks the board blank into the tray, slides it until it drops into position on the pin, drills to the correct depth, and repeats for the whole pattern.
+1
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset