Scarce riser block kits for older 14" delta or rockwell bandsaws
I cannot seem to find a good quality riser block kit for my 90's made Delta bandsaw. If I do find one, its 300 dollars. Anyone have a source for these kits? Mine came with a 1hp american made motor; I'm wondering if that has enough oomph for re-sawing with a riser block?
Now where is that chisel
(08-24-2019, 11:52 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I cannot seem to find a good quality riser block kit for my 90's made Delta bandsaw. If I do find one, its 300 dollars. Anyone have a source for these kits? Mine came with a 1hp american made motor; I'm wondering if that has enough oomph for re-sawing with a riser block?

I have a 1.5 HP Baldor motor on mine and it's slow going even with a 1/2" x 3 tpi blade on it.  It will get the job done though as long as you are patient and don't overfeed the wood.  I cut quite a lot of 7 - 10" wide veneer with it before I decided to upgrade to something truly suited for the task.  But if your needs are modest as far as resawing and slicing veneer it will do OK even with your 1 HP motor.  

I have a Powermatic riser kit on my 14" Delta; fit fine except for the locating pins so I just cut them off.  I'm pretty sure some or all of the Grizzly riser kits will fit, too, as long as you are willing to do similar modifications.  If you do put a riser kit on yours, that would be a good time to make sure the wheels of the saw are set parallel to each other as you put it back together.  

John
(08-24-2019, 11:52 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I cannot seem to find a good quality riser block kit for my 90's made Delta bandsaw. If I do find one, its 300 dollars. Anyone have a source for these kits? Mine came with a 1hp american made motor; I'm wondering if that has enough oomph for re-sawing with a riser block?
Kit is the key word. many risers can be modified to fit the saw. You will have to try and find a kit with the same shape down rod that holds the top blade guide. Your original rod will be too short.
I made due with the original 1 hp motor after installing the riser. Just had to slow down and let the motor work. Later I installed a 2 hp motor and now can do the same job- just a little faster and less concentration on feed speed.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Have you tried Iturra Design? Only three people work there but if they cannot sell you a riser will tell you next best thing.
1-904-642-2802
1-888-722-2802 not sure if this number still works:
Email: KALL@COMCAST.NET
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, FL 32225-1332

Worth a Email or telephone call!
Bill
A while back I bought a riser block for my Delta from somebody else because it was cheaper. fit perfectly, just the wrong color. I will see if I can find the paperwork for details.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(08-24-2019, 11:52 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote:  I'm wondering if that has enough oomph for re-sawing with a riser block?

I forgot to mention about blade sharpness. Learn how to sharpen your rip blade (if you have not already) with a dremel and diamond chainsaw bit. It is not that hard and makes all the difference in the world to a minimal powered bandsaw. While a three hp bandsaw can power a semi sharp blade through the wood one with less hp will falter. The very first blade I ever sharpened seemed to be better than factory new and it only takes about ten minutes to run the dremel across all the teeth. There are many videos on how to do it on YouTube.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(08-27-2019, 05:41 AM)KyleD Wrote: I forgot to mention about blade sharpness. Learn how to sharpen your rip blade (if you have not already) with a dremel and diamond chainsaw bit. It is not that hard and makes all the difference in the world to a minimal powered bandsaw. While a three hp bandsaw can power a semi sharp blade through the wood one with less hp will falter. The very first blade I ever sharpened seemed to be better than factory new and it only takes about ten minutes to run the dremel across all the teeth. There are many videos on how to do it on YouTube.

I forgot to mention about blade sharpness. Learn how to sharpen your rip blade (if you have not already) with a dremel and diamond chainsaw bit. It is not that hard and makes all the difference in the world to a minimal powered bandsaw.

This............it's like adding one HP to the saw.
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Would a Shop Fox riser kit work?
$91. On Amazon
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer