Delta Replacement Parts Rant
"Of course it would also be useful to post any parts that one has tried and they have found either don’t fit or would need significant modification to fit so that folks like myself that have a metal lathe and Mill could get an oversized part and machine it down to size.

I have saved myself countless hours and could have saved myself countless more had I known then what I know now."

That's not a bad suggestion. I know there are probably better sites to search for obsolete parts and what-not, but I'm just more familiar with this site. The specific part that burned me was the rear table lock knob. I looked at the equivalent Grizzly part and saw that it was metric threaded. I could just use the bolt that's in there now, or tried to rethread the delta casting to metric, but I was able to find the part I needed. It would be nice to have a resource of work-arounds and replacement alternatives. It really surprised me how much the delta parts have gone up in price and I had to go to 2-3 sources to get all the odds and ends I needed.
Maybe we can use them for yard ornaments.

[Image: 594-F2459-FB02-4-E05-8512-4-AE4-CE3-B0-C7-D.jpg]
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(09-07-2019, 03:27 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Maybe we can use them for yard ornaments.

[Image: 594-F2459-FB02-4-E05-8512-4-AE4-CE3-B0-C7-D.jpg]

That's a cryin' shame, that right there.
(08-25-2019, 10:22 AM)Aram Wrote: Ugh, good luck. I've posted my X5 Uni parts rant too many times. It's easier to get vintage (Delta, Delta/Rockwell) parts than Delta from, say, the mid 2000s. Bye bye Delta. Good luck to you.

That's ironic. 20 years ago, if you brought up the subject of buying a vintage machine vs. new, someone would always bring up parts availability as a major reason to buy new.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
(09-13-2019, 01:36 PM)Vince Wrote: That's ironic. 

It is. I am less generous in my choice of words though.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-13-2019, 01:36 PM)Vince Wrote: That's ironic. 20 years ago, if you brought up the subject of buying a vintage machine vs. new, someone would always bring up parts availability as a major reason to buy new.

like I said before I have 2 39's and have found more.  The parts are out there you just have to look for them.  The new crap was scrapped and no new parts available.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

It is a real shame the way Delta was handled.

Too much short term thinking by these conglomerates (Stanley) that attempt to boost short term profits at most any long term expense.
The delta Uniguard overarm blade guard is still current on Delta's website and is available from numerous suppliers. But the lexan parts which guard the blade and need to be replaced now and then are not available. Something wtong here.
(09-13-2019, 11:35 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: It is a real shame the way Delta was handled.

Too much short term thinking by these conglomerates (Stanley) that attempt to boost short term profits at most any long term expense.

It truly is a shame what the American consumer did to the iconic brands such as Delta, Porter Cable and Powermatic.  We as a singular entity demanded cheap and quantity over quality and customer service.  We put the Jets and Grizzlys in business and thumbed our noses at the US based manufacturers.  We did not want to hear about reliability and jumped at a chance to buy cheap.  It did not matter if it worked well or was accurate, only that we could have more toys than our neighbors.  Now we lament on how those businesses let the consumer down.
I agree with you aquaticJim.

Note, I am not criticizing anyone for the choice of brands they made, just making a general statement.

I figured Delta was doomed when Jet first arrived (early 90's ?) and I saw a post on rec.woodworking where someone compared the Delta vs the Jet , 6" jointers.. his conclusion was "The Delta is probably a better machine, but the Jet is $50 less, so I am buying the Jet" .. American's spoke.. saving less than 10% was more important than quality..