Craft Show Find
Without boring you with all of how we, wife and I, ended up in Amana Iowa, as we were getting near Main Amana, which is where Hand Works is held, I said I wonder what weekend a craft show called Woodworks is. She said she thought it was maybe this weekend. And sure enough it was going on so we stopped for a look. Low and behold there were to venders with old woodworking tools for sale. Each had 3 or 4 tables full. One was a a member of the Mid West Tool Collectors association, and he thought all of his stuff was worth gold. 

The other one was willing to ask me what I would offer. I looked through his stuff and held up a Nicholson #50 cabinet rasp ain all but new condition. In fact I doubt there is more than 5 minutes worth of use on it period. Now rasps are usually a dime a dozen around here at flea markets, But not #50s in perfect shape. So I asked and he said $6. I was tickled with the price and just paid him what he asked for it. I didn't try to talk him down or anything. He actually thanked me for not offering him less because he thought his price was more than fair. 

Me , I was more than thrilled with his price and I am still rejoicing at my find. Anyway pictures so you know it did happen.

Attached Files Image(s)

I don't know how this got posted but here is another picture 

[attachment=20180]

Now I have both a 49 and a 50.

Tom
(08-25-2019, 01:24 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I don't know how this got posted but here is another picture 

Now I have both a 49 and a 50.

Tom

For a "machine stitched" rasp, I think they are as good as they get...I have a set of them. I don't know what they sell for now but years ago they were about 50 bucks each...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Coincidence but I picked up a set of both, virgins both - NOS made in USA, for $10. They are staying in my rasp drawer........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I found of set of 49/50 Nicholson’s probably 15 years ago in a lot of NOS files for dirt cheap. I only use them occasionally but they are great for my hobby shop. My grandpa turned a set of beautifully shaped reclaimed soft “white wood” handles for them. The wood had been sitting around the long lived 3 generational garage for years. An old stained nail hole in each handle. A copper ferrule was added with his shaky engraved name and date—2004. Time flies by.

There are some great Nicholsons out there waiting to be found!

I got one of the milled-tooth flat floats of Nicholson brand from a flea-market.  It's about the finest leveling tool I have.

(Picture from the web)

Chris
Chris
have one like that....except it says VIXEN on the tang....

Tends to clog up fast, too...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice find, awesome price.

Picked up a virgin Heller "Wizcut Vixen" float file at an estate sale recently.

Went into my local "old school" industrial supply, handed it to the counterman, "Carl, need a handle",
"Holy chit!, been years since I've seen one of these".

Lol...

Ed
I'm so full of guilt..

In High School metal shop we had to forge, shape and harden carbon steel. Some guys made plane irons, some made knives and a few other odds and ends. It was a lot cheaper to buy a used Nicholson file than a piece of carbon steel so we all destroyed Nicholson files to save money. For an "A" on the project the instructor would test it by dropping it on the concrete floor without it breaking and it had to pull a shaving off a 10 penny nail.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay