Grizzly sales tax in Texas
title pretty much says it all. I got an email that effective October 1 they will start collecting sales tax. I have only bought from them a couple of times. 
Gary
(08-29-2019, 04:03 PM)GDay Wrote: title pretty much says it all. I got an email that effective October 1 they will start collecting sales tax. I have only bought from them a couple of times. 
Gary

Sounds like maybe Texas legislature made some rule changes or taxing authority has begun encorcement. 

Not Griz's fault.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have never ordered from Grizzly, but I know that Amazon collects sales tax on items shipped to us here in Iowa.
(08-29-2019, 04:03 PM)GDay Wrote: title pretty much says it all. I got an email that effective October 1 they will start collecting sales tax. I have only bought from them a couple of times. 
Gary

I never meant to blame Grizzly! I am used to paying it on Amazon and I have regular orders from them. 
Gary
I think the collection of sales tax from internet sales is quickly becoming the norm.  It's only as automated payment systems get worked out that the Governmental entities will be able to enforce the laws and rules they already have in place.  

In many states, consumers have been "required" to pay sales tax on internet purchases for years.  But since there was no way to track those sales, the states were pretty much stuck with unenforceable rules.

As online sales have become such a large part of the economy, the states moved to get that visibility.  In many cases, they now have it.
This State has such overwhelming population growth that I really embrace any new revenue except a State Income Tax. Tax spending including mine.
This is because of the South Dakota vs Wayfair court case from last year.  South Dakota claimed that Wayfair should be able to collect and remit sales tax for orders shipped into South Dakota, even though Wayfair did not have nexus in the state of South Dakota.   It went all the way to the Supreme Court, and South Dakota won.

This will be happening all over the country now.  It is going to cause an incredible burden on small businesses who ship to other states, as they now will have to understand and comply with sales tax rules in taxing jurisdictions, potentially, in all 50-states.

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/new...19203.html

https://www.tscpa.org/resources/news/adv...s-taxation

I haven't posted on here in years...just lurking...but thought I'd chime in.
(08-30-2019, 05:52 PM)steveG Wrote: This is because of the South Dakota vs Wayfair court case from last year.  South Dakota claimed that Wayfair should be able to collect and remit sales tax for orders shipped into South Dakota, even though Wayfair did not have nexus in the state of South Dakota.   It went all the way to the Supreme Court, and South Dakota won.

This will be happening all over the country now.  It is going to cause an incredible burden on small businesses who ship to other states, as they now will have to understand and comply with sales tax rules in taxing jurisdictions, potentially, in all 50-states.

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/new...19203.html

https://www.tscpa.org/resources/news/adv...s-taxation

I haven't posted on here in years...just lurking...but thought I'd chime in.
I expect there'll be businesses spring up if they don't already exist that will collect various state and local taxes, for a fee of course. No small or medium business can realistically be expected to know the ins and outs of taxes for who knows how many local jurisdictions.
(08-30-2019, 07:06 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I expect there'll be businesses spring up if they don't already exist that will collect various state and local taxes, for a fee of course. No small or medium business can realistically be expected to know the ins and outs of taxes for who knows how many local jurisdictions.

In one of Bob Jenning's tax seminars last year, it said how much his company was going to have to spend on a software solution to comply.  It wasn't cheap.

He shares his thoughts on the matter here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlP8VceUxE&feature=youtu.be
What you're saying is that the state government had trouble following the rules that they set themselves, but they were still able to start monitoring online transactions. Can you explain how they did it? I don't have a single thought about it. I have great suspicions about this tracking, as there are a bunch of ways to get around it. I usually calculate my taxes on URL DELETED and I haven't noticed the difference in them for about 2 years. Of course, I can be wrong, but if they started to monitor my transactions, my tax would increase by at least three digits.

SPAMMER BANNED