Protecting Copper
(09-01-2019, 04:56 PM)Enigmatic Wrote: Marine grade spar poly. Works like a charm, and it's spray on.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/minwax-helmsman.../999913673

Thanks to all.  Looks like Everbrite is the winner.
Larry KQ6PJ
I was in Chicago and maintenance workers were painting flag pole stanchions on the front of a 100 year old office building.  The stanchions were solid copper and were being painted black.  I asked why, and the workers said because the boss was tired of having to polish it every 6 weeks.

In my opinion, any clear coat will wear off and then you will have to remove the clear coat to polish up the caps.  Automotive car wax will last quite a while and a buffing wheel on the drill will polish it nicely. 

Alternatively you can get these which may look OK or may look cheesy:  https://www.atlantapostcaps.com/4x4-post...m-pyramid/

They make copper anodized standing seam roofing and gutters and the finish is very convincing.  The problem will be finding them. The solid copper will cost about the same and "solid copper" sounds better than "anodized aluminum".  The aluminum will look good for a very long time.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Buy a bottle of ketchup and paint it on the copper. Wipe it off the next day. Will look perfect. Salt and vinegar in the ketchup are the trick.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Larry, you could try this:

Buy a rattle can of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. We use it a lot in the body-shop business for painting materials with known adhesion problems ie bare metal and Poly Urethane plastics like plastic bumper covers, side view mirrors, plastic trim etc. Bulldog is basically clear glue in a spray can. It sticks to just about anything. Then buy a 2K rattle can clear coat. It will be much more durable than any 1K clear spray paint with a much better UF protection. UV is the enemy of clear paints. Spray the Bulldog on the pieces and then spray the clear coat on them. Keep in mind that once the can of clear-coat is activated, it begins to harden so you'll have to shoot them all at once. Wear a Organic Vapor rated respirator when spraying the clear... the Bulldog too for that matter.

Bulldog

2k clear-coat

3M Respirator
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay