Rolling pin assistance
I know it is early but I'd like to get a head start on Christmas presents. I have made french rolling pins before, but the family prefers traditional pins.  In a traditional rolling pin, how are the handles held in the rolling pin body?  I plan on turning the pin body to 3" diameter, turning dowels to attach the handles and turning the handles.  The dowel is obviously glued at one end, but has to rotate at the other end, yet be securely held inside.  How is that done so either the body or the handle does not come off?

Second question.  Is it a good idea to glue contrasting woods for the pin body such as a hard maple sandwich with a darker wood in the middle then turn it round?

Any ideas appreciated.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
(09-01-2019, 02:50 PM)joemac Wrote: I know it is early but I'd like to get a head start on Christmas presents. I have made french rolling pins before, but the family prefers traditional pins.  In a traditional rolling pin, how are the handles held in the rolling pin body?  I plan on turning the pin body to 3" diameter, turning dowels to attach the handles and turning the handles.  The dowel is obviously glued at one end, but has to rotate at the other end, yet be securely held inside.  How is that done so either the body or the handle does not come off?

Second question.  Is it a good idea to glue contrasting woods for the pin body such as a hard maple sandwich with a darker wood in the middle then turn it round?

Any ideas appreciated.
Through and through with the bore, glue handles to the dowel, to hold together.  Can go larger bore and put in a PVC piece as a bushing, just to make it easy.  My preferred.  

if you do a glueup for the body, you can use a core box router bit on either side, rather than a ship's auger on the whole thing.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
They make rolling pin bearings. Can’t remember who “they” are but you can Google it. I’m trying to comment using my phone without glasses so posting a link is difficult.
Frank