Cutting Down A Metal Garage Door
I have a somewhat unique situation. I have a sliding glass door (3 panel) that I would like to remove and replace with a false garage door. This is on the front of my shop, and I have decided that the sliders look out of place in the front of my house, and a false garage door would complement the door on the adjacent 2 car garage.
Anyway, my conundrum is that a standard 7 x 9 door will not fit in terms of height. I am thinking about cutting down the
height of the top panel by about 2". I am wondering how much of a pain this will be. I am planning on using a standard circular saw with a special diamond metal cutting blade ($29 Ridgid blade at Home Depot). Making the opening bigger is out of the question: don't want to mess with the siding or framing.
Will this work, or am I missing something? Thanks
Contact your local garage door seller. They can get one custom made. A whole lot less hassle....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Ha: did not know that. Thanks much, I will!

(09-01-2019, 07:27 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Contact your local garage door seller. They can get one custom made. A whole lot less hassle....
(09-01-2019, 05:58 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I have a somewhat unique situation. I have a sliding glass door (3 panel) that I would like to remove and replace with a false garage door. This is on the front of my shop, and I have decided that the sliders look out of place in the front of my house, and a false garage door would complement the door on the adjacent 2 car garage.
Anyway, my conundrum is that a standard 7 x 9 door will not fit in terms of height.  I am thinking about cutting down the
height of the top panel by about 2".  I am wondering how much of a pain this will be.  I am planning on using a standard circular saw with a special diamond metal cutting blade ($29 Ridgid blade at Home Depot). Making the opening bigger is out of the question: don't want to mess with the siding or framing.
Will this work, or am I missing something? Thanks

I have cut down metal doors but not a garage door. I make a straight edge that the saw will ride on top of and a another piece for the straight edge that the saw base rides against. I installed a cheap steel plywood blade backwards on the arbor. Backwards blade keeps the teeth cutting into the metal instead of pulling up into the door. Cut one side at a time, turn the panel over and repeat. 
If you do not make the straight edge that the saw base sits on then you will probably scratch the panel with the base and or guard.
I doubt that lubrication is needed as the panels are light weight. The cut needs to be capped off. Maybe the piece you would discard would work for a cap. If not a siding or roofer person can brake an aluminum cap for you.

mike
(09-01-2019, 07:29 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Ha: did not know that. Thanks much, I will!

Welcome.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I second the garage door guy for a custom one but they are quite expensive. Had to do that for my grandmothers garage in Detroit years ago... 

If you do need to cut one down just use a super fine carbide blade and cut slow with everything well supported. The old use a plywood blade backwards just makes noise and a mess of the steel. I have never seen a cut successfully done using that method. Heck I have cut down C Channel purlins for metal buildings using just a plain old cordless circular saw and the finish was perfectly smooth.
         The key in cutting metal is support of the material from under and if you can have a ZCI on your saw it will be even easier.
Thanks gents: much appreciated!!!!!!