Segment kickback troubleshooting help
I’m using a wedgie sled (and using it correctly this time) to make segments. Currently, I’m having a problem with the segments getting thrown as the cut ends. My sled is to the right of the blade, so the segments are being thrown off the left side of the blade. I have an MDF “off ramp” to the left to try and take the segments away from the blade and have changed the angle a couple times - the blade is raised with zero space between it and the off ramp.

Pieces being thrown only happens on the “back” fence, where the longer edge is facing away from the front of the saw. The top right corner (in that same orientation) is falling toward the blade as the cut finishes - I can tell by the little red smudge left by the Freud blade on that corner. That same corner gets a small nick in it from hitting the blade. When cutting a segment on the front fence - long edge toward the front of the saw and me - this does not happen.

I’m at wits end on this one. I’ve changed the angle of the insert, the speed of cut, etc. I don’t doubt this is user error, so would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
John
Just to confirm you have the wood in front of the fence for each cut? My sled is on the left side and I don’t have this issue. Mine just fall off between the sled and fence. I set the fence with a spacer to set the cutoff size.

Perhaps you could cut on the left side and see if the problem goes away.
Don
You are correct, the wood is in front of the fence for each cut. To set cutoff size, I have an adjustable jig in the left miter slot that is only engaged before moving toward the blade (the face is only 2.5” long).

Can’t hurt to flip it to the other side and see what happens, though doesn’t seem like it should make a difference given that the net impact is to move the piece currently being thrown from the back fence to the front fence. But, you never know so will give it a try.
(09-02-2019, 07:45 AM)jcredding Wrote: I’m using a wedgie sled (and using it correctly this time) to make segments.  Currently, I’m having a problem with the segments getting thrown as the cut ends.  My sled is to the right of the blade, so the segments are being thrown off the left side of the blade.  I have an MDF “off ramp” to the left to try and take the segments away from the blade and have changed the angle a couple times - the blade is raised with zero space between it and the off ramp.

Pieces being thrown only happens on the “back” fence, where the longer edge is facing away from the front of the saw.  The top right corner (in that same orientation) is falling toward the blade as the cut finishes - I can tell by the little red smudge left by the Freud blade on that corner.  That same corner gets a small nick in it from hitting the blade.  When cutting a segment on the front fence - long edge toward the front of the saw and me - this does not happen.

I’m at wits end on this one.  I’ve changed the angle of the insert, the speed of cut, etc.  I don’t doubt this is user error, so would appreciate any thoughts.  

Thanks,
John
John,
I have that problem sometimes also, however I have found that slowing down the push helps. I also found that not all woods throw the cut.  My sled has the cut drop attached to the sled instead of being mounted to the table. Best advice is to Duck and have your eye protection on.
Winkgrin 

Bob
My sled extends to the right of the blade. I do not like the angled drop a lot of sites show. I use a pencil to hold down the piece that is the final product. The eraser holds it down nicely and have never had a problem. Also keeps my fingers far eneough away from the blade.
(09-02-2019, 07:45 AM)jcredding Wrote: I’m using a wedgie sled (and using it correctly this time) to make segments.  Currently, I’m having a problem with the segments getting thrown as the cut ends.  My sled is to the right of the blade, so the segments are being thrown off the left side of the blade.  I have an MDF “off ramp” to the left to try and take the segments away from the blade and have changed the angle a couple times - the blade is raised with zero space between it and the off ramp.

Pieces being thrown only happens on the “back” fence, where the longer edge is facing away from the front of the saw.  The top right corner (in that same orientation) is falling toward the blade as the cut finishes - I can tell by the little red smudge left by the Freud blade on that corner.  That same corner gets a small nick in it from hitting the blade.  When cutting a segment on the front fence - long edge toward the front of the saw and me - this does not happen.

I’m at wits end on this one.  I’ve changed the angle of the insert, the speed of cut, etc.  I don’t doubt this is user error, so would appreciate any thoughts.  

Thanks,
John

John,
I cut 96 wedges today and could not get any kick back.  What size wedges are you cutting?  Don't know that it makes a difference, but I was cutting for 16 and 24 segments.  I will try at 8 and see if I can get kick back. 

Bob
Do you have any pictures of your setup? I've used a wedgie sled a lot and never had this problem. I would think it has to be something simple if it's that repeatable.
Just got back from a business trip and will take a photo and post in the morning. I’m making 18 segment rings with various edge lengths, but they’re fairly small. I’ll follow up tomorrow, and really appreciate all the thoughts.