Boeshield...Who knew?
I am one who never perspires.  I simply go from calm straight to dripping sweat.  The TS gets the brunt of it and of course I don't always get all of it wiped up.  Today it is only 95 in the shop so it's a good day to clean the cast iron.

Boeshield Stain and Rust Remover with a green pad did a quick job on the rust and stains...but...this time the Boeshield created its own stains.  The bottle is more than ten years old and I ran out.  So does Boeshield have a shelf life of less than 10 yrs?

The ROS with 150 through 600 grit removed the Boeshield stains. The top is slicker than snot and protected with Boeshield 9 but that took more than an hour than it should have.  I know there are those who do not like Boeshield so I was wondering if they had similar experiences?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-03-2019, 04:47 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am one who never perspires.  I simply go from calm straight to dripping sweat.  The TS gets the brunt of it and of course I don't always get all of it wiped up.  Today it is only 95 in the shop so it's a good day to clean the cast iron.

Boeshield Stain and Rust Remover with a green pad did a quick job on the rust and stains...but...this time the Boeshield created its own stains.  The bottle is more than ten years old and I ran out.  So does Boeshield have a shelf life of less than 10 yrs?

The ROS with 150 through 600 grit removed the Boeshield stains. The top is slicker than snot and protected with Boeshield 9 but that took more than an hour than it should have.  I know there are those who do not like Boeshield so I was wondering if they had similar experiences?

I used the stain and rust remover on  a few spots once and didn't like how it etched or "blued" the surface and created its own stain.  IIRC, it contains a dilute phosphoric acid.  I use the T-9 from time to time and it's OK.  I don't like how you have to really buff it out so I tend to use a dry lube spray for the surfaces I use most often.  If I'm going to let a machine sit for a  while, I'll spray it with T-9 and leave it as is without buffing.
If you had rust, wouldn't you say the Bioshield isn't working? I kept using all that super duper stuff that swears it's the best and still got rust spots too. I even found a cooking oil mix I made did as good.

I started using Johnson's paste wax on the TS, BS, Jointer, and it all but stopped.

For the machines and tools I can't use the wax on, I started using 30w cheap oil mixed with 20%- 25% mineral spirits and rub it on, and found it does as good, if not better that the expensive stuff in a can.
I mistakenly bought 10w-30 Mobil 1 for my truck. So when the Corrosion-X HD is gone, I'll use the oil. Nothing I've protected with the Corrosion-X HD has ever rusted including the saltwater fishing gear.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
daddo, the reason I had rust...I had not done anything to protect the CI in well over a year.  I use the saw so often the protective film wares off.  I need to develop better habits.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Back in High School every unpainted cast iron surface was sanded with 600 grit with straight 10w oil lubricant every week. Every surface was like a mirror and I'm sure oil would be dripping out the bottom if it wasn't painted. Every once in a while I get a flashback by looking at the build-up on the outside of our cast iron fry pans. I know we can't spill that much butter or oil on the outside! The pores are so full it won't rust even when I have to use a Brillo pad.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-03-2019, 10:48 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: daddo, the reason I had rust...I had not done anything to protect the CI in well over a year.  I use the saw so often the protective film wares off.  I need to develop better habits.

There might be another solution. I've heard if you quit drinking liquids, sooner or later you'll quit sweating.
Winkgrin
Pardon my ignorance but why does the motor oil not cause trouble down the line with finishes?
I've never bought anything for cast surfaces. Just use my paraffin/bees wax/turpentine mix a couple of times a year. Get the ROS out if I do get a
rust spot.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020