Woodsmith tip - Is this an early april fool's joke?
In the latest issue of WS (p. 9), one published tip tells you to bolt a T-track to the miter saw fence (front face) and use it with a sliding stop as a stop block. I have seen my share of impractical tips in various magazines, but this one earns one of the top three spots in that category.

Such an add-on to the fence would reduce as much as half of the cutting capacity of your miter saw.

Totally unbelievable that it would appear on the pages of WS. You will have to see it yourself to believe it.

Simon
I've seen t-track on the TOP of the fence, with a toggle clamp used to hold a stop block, but never one of the front of the fence.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
No sure I see* what the big deal is ... it's a sliding stop block ... slide it where you need it ... or slide it out of the way.

No, it doesn't [b]flip up[\b] out of the way but ...

"The WoodWhisperer" built a sliding stop into the base of his Miterstation:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/produc...r-station/

Is that impractical as well?

*I actually haven't seen the publication, but can imagine the design. Is it completely un-removable?
~Dan.
(09-05-2019, 10:02 AM)Dan Moening Wrote: No sure I see* what the big deal is ... it's a sliding stop block ... slide it where you need it ... or slide it out of the way.

No, it doesn't [b]flip up[\b] out of the way but ...

"The WoodWhisperer" built a sliding stop into the base of his Miterstation:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/produc...r-station/

Is that impractical as well?

*I actually haven't seen the publication, but can imagine the design. Is it completely un-removable?

Dan,

The woodwhisper's stop or any other miter saw fence stops I have seen DO NOT reduce the cutting capacity of the saw. In addition, those stops work for any stock that is within the handling capacity of the saw.

Based on the tip, you can cut, say, stock of 2 or 3" tall, but when you have a piece taller, you can't use the saw...unless your remove the whole T-track thingie. Of course, you can't use the stop either. If you want to bring your saw to a job site, you need to remove the stop jig too....There re many other better solutions out there. But who would use a trick that requires you to keep installing and re-installing the stop when you cut different workpieces?

OK. Imagine using this tip on your tablesaw crosscut sled.

Simon