Armstrong Peel & Stick Vinyl
I'm getting ready to remove laminate flooring on a plywood sub floor that was painted (21 years ago). I'll be replacing this with the above product. If the painted floor is still in great shape, should I remove the paint anyway?
(09-03-2019, 06:45 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm getting ready to remove laminate flooring on a plywood sub floor that was painted (21 years ago). I'll be replacing this with the above product. If the painted floor is still in great shape, should I remove the paint anyway?

I know those peel and stick won't come off of clean plywood without taking a good amount of the top veneer along with it. Is your paint sticking that good? I think I would try applying some aggressive tape, pressed down really hard, then try to pull it up in a day or two. My experience is a few times over sheet vinyl, and in my half bath on primed Luan. (over vinyl were rentals, small half bath; still looks fairly decent after 15 or more years.) I'm at a point now that I deem primed Luan stapled down, commercial adhesive, and a #100 roller the best option.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-03-2019, 11:39 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I know those peel and stick won't come off of clean plywood without taking a good amount of the top veneer along with it. Is your paint sticking that good? I think I would try applying some aggressive tape, pressed down really hard, then try to pull it up in a day or two. My experience is a few times over sheet vinyl, and in my half bath on primed Luan. (over vinyl were rentals, small half bath; still looks fairly decent after 15 or more years.) I'm at a point now that I deem primed Luan stapled down, commercial adhesive, and a #100 roller the best option.

Thanks for the advice. I should be starting on this room next week. (Priorities). I will certainly be testing the paint with tape. I never gave luan a thought.
Have you considered vinyl plank?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-10-2019, 11:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Have you considered vinyl plank?
+1  It looks good, goes down easy and the price isn't bad.
(09-10-2019, 11:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Have you considered vinyl plank?

I installed vinyl plank in the kitchen. Never again. Scuff marks from chairs and seams that do not stay flat. Installed over new 1/4" Douglas fir plywood underlay. Looked great for a year. I'll probably rip it out in a couple of years and install ceramic tile instead.
I have it on one floor in our house and haven't had any problems with it. It won't stay there forever but it fit the budget at the time. There are various grades and various thicknesses of the top wear layer. Not sure Peel and Stick will be a superior product.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay