Genius Hack of the Century
(09-11-2019, 05:49 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Don, that's a bit pissy. Particularly when I clearly stated that my only role was to be the first to write about it (as far as I am aware). Indeed, I always question those you claim to have "invented" techniques. There is nothing new under the sun. Have you had your coffee today? 
Raised

Regards from Perth

Derek

You're right, Mr Cohen, it WAS a bit pissy.  I apologize and will try to blame my indiscretion on the coffee, and the picture of you researching all those videos that it conjured.  I, honestly, have a great deal of admiration for you. You're obviously a consummate craftsman and a very generous spirit in sharing your skills.  I seem to have been struck by the inconsistency upon seeing your response to the 'idea' that someone would take credit that was due to you.  I will cut down on the coffee.

Don
IF it is such a great "hack", why does it add steps to a procedure, instead of remove steps?
Confused
Confused
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-11-2019, 03:03 PM)bandit571 Wrote: IF it is such a great "hack", why does it add steps to a procedure, instead of remove steps?
Confused
Confused
Confused

For those of us with trash eyesight who need the extra visual contrast, the extra steps are worth it. Option B is miss the line and throw out the wood. Or cut off the ends, try again, attempt (and mess up) a series of smaller and smaller boxes until a single toothpick is left.
Tongue
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Seems they made automotive painters tape before blue tape.....back then, don't leave it on too long....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-11-2019, 01:57 PM)DonSlaughter Wrote: You're right, Mr Cohen, it WAS a bit pissy.  I apologize and will try to blame my indiscretion on the coffee, and the picture of you researching all those videos that it conjured.  I, honestly, have a great deal of admiration for you. You're obviously a consummate craftsman and a very generous spirit in sharing your skills.  I seem to have been struck by the inconsistency upon seeing your response to the 'idea' that someone would take credit that was due to you.  I will cut down on the coffee.

Don

Don, your apology is accepted. My comment (of searching videos) does appear to be an overreaction. The context is relevant. At the time the FWW article was published, I had been working on an identical submission to Pop Wood. I contacted Mike P to mention this, and his response was so condescending. I was really irked, but did not say this on the forum when the article was discussed. Checking his videos is really easy, since they are published through FWW mag. All I had to do was search for dovetailing. I knew that he would use the blue tape method in his videos and articles as soon as he could. The very earliest use of this by Mike was 2013. I had posted this method on my website two years earlier, and mentioned it on forums many times well before 2013. It would simply have been good manners to have  acknowledged this.

It is worth checking my article (in 2011): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/H...arrah.html

You will note there that I do not claim that I invented it, just that I had not come across anyone using it before, although it had been used for other joinery (e.g. mortices).

All this commentary leaves me pretty cold. I have no desire for rewards, other than seeing others successful. I am a teacher, not a businessman. What is important to me is considerate behaviour towards others.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I just read this entire thread and have been using this tip since Derek first posted it on this forum. I felt no need to click on any of the links in this thread because of my familiarity with this method.

After checking on the forum, I visited Facebook to check on a few of our former forum members. Within the first minute I saw two fineWoodworking posts targeted at me. Both involved tape tips, with one being Mike’s blue tape video.

If Mike got the idea from Derek, it’s not hard to see how he found it. FineWoodworking advert algorithms seem to be spying on us.
John
(09-11-2019, 06:59 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The context is relevant. At the time the FWW article was published, I had been working on an identical submission to Pop Wood.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Did Pop Wood publish your article?

Unless there were other reasons, it could be a poor editorial decision not to do so just because another magazine was doing an article on the same topic or technique. They could have easily Googled and found out that you had such practice long before. You might've dealt with the same technique at a different angle. It is not unusual that competing magazines publish the same kind of project or topic around the same time. They recycle their own topics over time too. But then editors have their own considerations that we readers might not know about.

Simon
(09-12-2019, 12:38 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Did Pop Wood publish your article?

Unless there were other reasons, it could be a poor editorial decision not to do so just because another magazine was doing an article on the same topic or technique. They could have easily Googled and found out that you had such practice long before.  You might've dealt with the same technique at a different angle. It is not unusual that competing magazines publish the same kind of project or topic around the same time. They recycle their own topics over time too. But then editors have their own considerations that we readers might not know about.

Simon

Simon, I had spoken with Megan about writing the article, and begun drafting it. This was pretty much informal at the time. When the topic was published by FWW, I recognised that the impetus was lost, and no one wants to be seen to be following on. As a result I just canned it. That was my decision, not Megan’s.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-12-2019, 06:12 AM)jstraw Wrote:   FineWoodworking advert algorithms seem to be spying on us.
I just saw a FB post touting "Mike Pekovitch's dovetail method" I think that might be random, I have plugins that should stop them from spying on me