Having to re-glue an old frame...what kind of material is this (pic inside)?
Okay, so my mom has a dual photo frame with two of her grandparents' pictures in it, and the frame itself looks to be at least decades old. Parts are cracked and so I'm having to reglue it. What's weird though is what it's made of. I'm posting a picture below. It almost looks like an older version of particle board, but the thing is, it has a VERY prominent musty odor to it that is noticeable several feet away. The way it has cracked is also different from how I've seen wood crack in the past. The cracked surfaces are very even and are not fibrous or splintery like you'd have with regular wood. What is this stuff, and will traditional wood glue still work alright on it?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Maybe a type of pressed fiberboard.

Glue. Maybe superglue
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-04-2019, 06:54 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Maybe a type of pressed fiberboard.

Glue. Maybe superglue

I'd say the same.  

John
Agree with the pressed fiberboard.

Clear Gorrila glue would be my choice.

Ed
When I was a picture framer the cheap custom frames were made from a hardwood (with no name) from the far east.  The custom frames from Michaels' Hobby were a mix of that and extruded MDF. 

It should be dimensionally stable and as long as it is not exposed to high humidity it should be fine.  Woodworkers III would be my choice.  Paint both edges so that the glue will soak in and then clamp. 

The MDF does not hold screws well, so the flat tabs are better than the screw eyes.

These:

[Image: 1-hole-type-samll-Picture-Hangers-frame-...hanger.jpg]
Gluing on a dust cover will also add some strength to the mouldings.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-04-2019, 06:41 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Okay, so my mom has a dual photo frame with two of her grandparents' pictures in it, and the frame itself looks to be at least decades old. Parts are cracked and so I'm having to reglue it. What's weird though is what it's made of. 

I would check with an antiques dealer/restore place -- that sounds like some old frame that was cast out of something when fancy carving was a slow process.

Could it be "Bakelite" or something similar?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-06-2019, 01:11 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I would check with an antiques dealer/restore place -- that sounds like some old frame that was cast out of something when fancy carving was a slow process.

Could it be "Bakelite" or something similar?

Hmm...not sure. I checked the back of the frame and it says it was made by a place called Alfred's Picture Frames in Los Angeles, with a date of 1990, so it's nowhere near as old as I thought it was. I don't know what the material was, but my mom ended up trying some regular Gorilla Glue before I could try the clear stuff, and it worked fine.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser