DeWalt 20V Options
My 15 year old 12V drill's last battery finally bit the dust.  I'm not going to buy anymore batteries for it because I have DeWalt 20V for all other cordless stuff.

The existing Drill/Driver that I have is the XR version I bought about five years ago.  I really like them, and they've served me well.  I'm still using the original batteries.  I want to get another drill/driver set to keep in the house and use for reloading and other items.  My question is, is the XR that much better than the regular 20V drill/driver sets?  The price difference can be quite a bit, especially when the stores run specials.

Thoughts from anyone who has both?
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(09-04-2019, 11:37 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: My 15 year old 12V drill's last battery finally bit the dust.  I'm not going to buy anymore batteries for it because I have DeWalt 20V for all other cordless stuff.

The existing Drill/Driver that I have is the XR version I bought about five years ago.  I really like them, and they've served me well.  I'm still using the original batteries.  I want to get another drill/driver set to keep in the house and use for reloading and other items.  My question is, is the XR that much better than the regular 20V drill/driver sets?  The price difference can be quite a bit, especially when the stores run specials.

Thoughts from anyone who has both?

I am only getting the brushless models at this point they are so much better on battery life.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I bought the 6 piece Lowes set (brushed) at some point when it was on sale. I needed the cordless circle saw and recip. saw for light-duty, occasional use. Figured the drills were just a bonus- only a slight increase over buying the tools I needed. The little speaker that came with the set was a surprise. I use it a lot and really like it. It's not great quality sound, but it's just really handy. I don't use the flashlight. Later, I bought the brushless hammer drill and it is definitely a step-up in build. I haven't used it a lot, and when I do it's not long enough to go thru a battery, so not a good comparison between the brushless and brushed. But you can tell a difference in the weight (granted its a hammer drill) and in the fit and finish, so it would seem you're getting *something* for the increased price. I haven't had them long enough to comment on either's long-term value. I would rate the brushed as slightly worse to same as my Makita drills, and the brushless as slightly better than my Makita. My Makita 18V is still my go-to set of drills, but this is probably mostly due to nostalgia. I would be just as happy with the DeWalt brushed tools for my go-to weekend warrior/ woodworker tools. 

I'm happy I got on the DeWalt 20V platform because they have a lot of options for tools that I foresee in the future- grinder, multi-tool, etc.

Final analysis, if budget is your main concern I think you will be fine with the brushed tools, but if quality is your main concern go with the brushless. Or, mix and match depending on the intended use.
Mine are mixed.....My drill & compact recip saw are brushed as the brushless weren't out yet.

Ed
I think most of my stuff is pre-brushless, but the XR line.  They've held up well.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I think if you hold out, you will find the sale price on brushless is about the same as the brushed.  I have been a little surprised to see that. I think now the big differential is if you buy a combo with many tools, but the deals on the impact driver and drill are a pretty good deal for the brushless.  I bought the brushed impact driver, and wish I had held out for the brushless.  I have been really impressed by the brushless drill I got.

Labor day sales seem to be over right now for the most part. I think I would hold out until the Thanksgiving sales unless you really have a immediate need. There is a pretty big differential in the normal prices.
I’ve been looking at the range of Dewalt 20v , Drill/Driver combo packs. The alternatives are very confusing. I think that the Max XR brushless is the way to go. But even in this line there is a compact sometimes called Atomic alternative. They are shorter less expensive, but the knob to control to drill speed is more imbedded in the handle making difficult for my old hands to turn. And they have two different nomenclatures to determine torque, UWO which seems to the new way and inch pounds?
Wanted to bump this thread as I’m in the same situation as the OP. Been looking at the XR brushless and the only thing I would like to see is the 996 without the hammer function. This adds a bit of heft to the drill but I really would like the 3-speed for it’s added torque.

Going to see what Black Friday brings to the table, looks like brushless is the way to go and if the 3-speed is only avail with the hammer function then I will have to take it or leave it.
You want the DCD991 (the kit is DCD991p2) same drill no hammer function.

Ed
Awesome....thanks!

I suppose that doesn't come in a 4 or 6.piece kit that you may know of? I searched to no avail but at least the 991 variant is avail.

Thanks again.