?? About nail gun for hardie trim siding
Does anyone know if it takes any special pneumatic nailer to nail HArdie trim boards. Specifically I will be nailing the 3/4 in thick hardie trim and this stuff is very hard.

would you use 15 or 16 gauge nailer. I can buy either nailer on Amazon but didn't know if these would have the power to nail thru this material.

Thanks
I know Hardie recommends Hot Dipped Galvanized (not Galv Plated) or Stainless nails. Not sure you can get Hot Dipped for a nail gun so it would have to be stainless nails.

Look at Page 2
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

They have specific installation instructions.

https://www.jameshardiepros.com/getattac...-us-en.pdf
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(09-05-2019, 03:08 PM)CLETUS Wrote: They have specific installation instructions.

https://www.jameshardiepros.com/getattac...-us-en.pdf

Thanks, but I know all this. I am trying to find out if a regular 15 or 16 gauge nail gun will have the power to nail thru this hard material or does it take some specialized gun or an air compressor that goes above 120 psi.
Doubtful on the 16-15ga finish nailer. Son uses a Dewalt siding coil nailer.
https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-to...er/dw66c-1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-05-2019, 04:19 PM)Randy C Wrote: Thanks, but I know all this. I am trying to find out if a regular 15 or 16 gauge nail gun will have the power to nail thru this hard material or does it take some specialized gun or an air compressor that goes above 120 psi.

Think a "siding nailer" is what you want, which I think is in between a framing nailer and finish nailers.  Pros would know more.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I just installed Hardie Panel siding on my shed two weeks ago.  I used just what it said on the data sheet.  6d galvanized.  I hand nailed and thought it would be a hassle, but it wasn't bad at all.  A good whack with the hammer and the nail went right through and hammer them flush with the surface.  Pay close attention to the recommended offset from the edges for nail placement as there was one spot where I got a little close and it cracked a little on a corner.
You can hand nail the trim with stainless steel siding nails. No problem nailing thru the Hardie Board. If the nails won't show then a roofing nailer will work too.
They have a Facebook page and are fairly responsive to posts - could just ask them.
(09-05-2019, 04:19 PM)Randy C Wrote: Thanks, but I know all this. I am trying to find out if a regular 15 or 16 gauge nail gun will have the power to nail thru this hard material or does it take some specialized gun or an air compressor that goes above 120 psi.

Ok, I figured if you knew all of that you'd go this route as suggested.

• Siding nail (0.09 in. shank x 0.221 in. HD x 2 in. long) 
• 11ga. roofing nail (0.121 in. shank x 0.371 in. HD x 1.25 in. long) Screws - Steel Framing • Ribbed Wafer-head or equivalent (No. 8 x 1 1/4 in. long x 0.375 in. HD)
• ET & F Panelfast® nails or equivalent (0.10 in. shank x 0.313 in. HD x 1-1/2 in. long) Nails must penetrate minimum 1/4 in. into metal framing. OSB minimum 7/16 in. 
• 11ga. roofing nail (0.121 in. shank x 0.371 in. HD x 1.75 in. long) 
• Ribbed Wafer-head or equivalent (No. 8 x 1 5/8 in. long x 0.375 in. HD).
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15