Will be trying a Lump Hammer of sorts
I haven't yet sprung for The Schwarz's lump hammer, but I admit I like how they look.

A recent flea-market walk-through gave me a 2-1/2 lb hammer head in need of a new handle.   So I finally shaved up the hickory, wedged it, etc.

Lots of folks will tell you that a nice oiled hammer handle feels better than a varnished one.   So the new handle is being oiled (old handle lying nearby), and a nice Joiner's hammer I have is is being converted from varnish to oil here:

Looking forward to seeing how I like the poor-man's Lump Hammer!

Chris
Chris
Very similiar design like Chris's hammer.
A little machine cleaning up....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

There is a lot of old hammers out there, and I'm not convinced the "lump" version touted by Crucible is any better or worse than what can be had with a bit of rust hunting....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I’m sorry——-I don’t get hitting a woodworking project with a heavy piece of steel. If it takes that hammer to make it go together the woodworking needs to resume. I do have a Thor nylon faced hammer that can persuade parts to mate and I sometimes hit my chisels with it. I did take a class from an Englishman who used a lump hammer.
Since 1968, I've owned and used a very heavy ball peen hammer on which I put a short handle (to fit the ex-fishing tackle box that was my tool box at the time).  And to think I could have made a living, or at least become a renowned woodworking authority, just by writing about it.  Another opportunity lost.
"If'n a hammer don't work.....get a bigger one.."
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-08-2019, 06:33 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I’m sorry——-I don’t get hitting a woodworking project with a heavy piece of steel. If it takes that hammer to make it go together the woodworking needs to resume.  I do have a Thor nylon faced hammer that can persuade parts to mate and I sometimes hit my chisels with it. I did take a class from an Englishman  who used a lump hammer.

Sometimes, even under the best conditions, you get some "glue sieze". A good whack and a crank on the clamp closes the joint.

Also, chopping mortises.

And, HF sells an engineers hammer that can be rehandled nicely.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I got the Lump Hammer as a gift. It looks a lot nicer than the rusted, pitted Engineer's hammer with the motor-oil and grease-stained handle that I've used as an all-purpose persuader for years. In fact, it looks so nice I'm still using the Engineer's hammer the majority of the time. Haven't felt the need to whack a chisel with either one yet, but if circumstances ever do arise, I have them both at the ready. Like your hammers!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
As a woodworking hammer, I might be tempted to glue a leather pad on one face of that
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Chris's hammer looks nice and I am very happy for those who patronize his business...I like the guy and what he does!  I was tempted to buy one when he first started selling them although I could not justify the cost.  Then just a day or two later, I found a 2 1/2 lb hammer like his at a swap meet for $2 and snatched it up.  I didn't realize how handy it is to have such a tool until I hung it by my bench!  One whack and my holdfast is solidly set....using a steel wedge to split a limb has opened the door to making spoons....and a myriad of tasks are perfect for this thing.  I found another bigger one...4 lbs.... and it is finding a niche in my shop doins, too. So...the Schwarz has enhanced my woodworking experience directly with his seminars, workshops and books and peripherally with his ambitious venture in to designing and manufacturing tools I didn't know I needed!
Helluva inspirational spirit in the woodworking world I belong to!  Had the same experience with his divider.....found one for real cheap right after he came out with his...it is a 'go to' tool that I would gladly pay his price for...if I didn't have one.

Don