dust collector level detection
(09-12-2019, 10:37 AM)Alan S Wrote: I have an LED in the back of the bin, and a window to see through.  It works: from across the room, if I can see the light, the bin's not full.  An emitter-detector pair should work the same way, with the detector in the role of me.  But you then need to decide on an alarm signal.

that's pretty clever. 

I thought about windows, but I have the original equipment fiber barrel, so I'm not sure how well making a window would work.  I guess I could curve some acrylic.
(09-12-2019, 10:25 AM)meackerman Wrote: I cut in some clear plastic in my 55 gallon drum.  one down the side and another in the lid.  I just peek in once in a while.

I have a similar low tech method - I cut a clear plastic cup that projects out from the side of my bin.  When I see dust in the cup, time to empty.  I recently became tired of my old method which was to just wait until I heard unusual noises coming from the DC...
(09-12-2019, 11:07 AM)EricU Wrote: that's pretty clever. 

I thought about windows, but I have the original equipment fiber barrel, so I'm not sure how well making a window would work.  I guess I could curve some acrylic.

1/8" plastic will flex enough.  attach it to the barrel with pop rivets or screws/nuts, then seal with silicone and/or foil tape.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-12-2019, 11:35 AM)Bach1750 Wrote: I have a similar low tech method - I cut a clear plastic cup that projects out from the side of my bin.  When I see dust in the cup, time to empty.  I recently became tired of my old method which was to just wait until I heard unusual noises coming from the DC...

my method was similar, except the DC just wasn't working. Thought to myself, "I thought this thing was better than this."  I took it apart because I'm moving it and making some modifications, and the whole cyclone was full of chips. No wonder it didn't work.

Ebay vendor took my $25 offer for the sensor

I ordered the flashing red light. I hope I have a 12v power supply somewhere. I saw a youtube video about this where the guy used the second output of the sensor to drive a light that indicates the level is below the sensor. Probably will do that.
All the parts have arrived from China, now I just have to find a working 12v power supply.  I think I'm going to try to fit everything into a weatherproof electrical box