Dirty band saw motor

Here are some pictures of the motor that came with my latest band saw. It came out of a shop where it was cutting aluminum. The saw, pulleys, and stand were all relatively clean and grease free. The motor, however, was covered in a mixture of black grease and aluminum dust. The pictures of the motor are after it's initial clean up. The whole motor looked like the picture showing the wiring connections, which did not have a cover. The motor spins freely and makes no noise, but I am afraid to power it up. The motor weighs about twice as much as the 1/4 hp Craftsman motor in the saw pictures in the other post. Should I just take off the pulley and scrap the motor?
(09-16-2019, 02:34 PM)pgriff Wrote: Here are some pictures of the motor that came with my latest band saw. It came out of a shop where it was cutting aluminum. The saw, pulleys, and stand were all relatively clean and grease free. The motor, however, was covered in a mixture of black grease and aluminum dust. The pictures of the motor are after it's initial clean up. The whole motor looked like the picture showing the wiring connections, which did not have a cover. The motor spins freely and makes no noise, but I am afraid to power it up. The motor weighs about twice as much as the 1/4 hp Craftsman motor in the saw pictures in the other post. Should I just take off the pulley and scrap the motor?

Clean the grease and aluminum chips out of the terminal box, put a ground on the motor frame connect it up and see what happens. secure the motor to something so that when it starts up it won't twist off of a table.   The most that could happen is that the breaker trips.     Probably a good motor.   Roly
I would clean it and try it. If it doesn't run, I would have a motor shop fix or rebuild it.

I would never expect a new motor to be anywhere near as good as that motor.
(09-16-2019, 09:37 PM)daddo Wrote: I would never expect a new motor to be anywhere near as good as that motor.

Exactly, they hadn't perfected the art of making chitty motors until many years/decades later.
(09-16-2019, 10:04 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Exactly, they hadn't perfected the art of making chitty motors until many years/decades later.

Laugh
Laugh
Slap
Slap
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I will try cleaning it out this weekend and let you know the results.