Door jam replacement
(09-16-2019, 08:01 PM)garmar60 Wrote: I have a metal exterior door on the house with a rotted jamb at the bottom on each side  it’s installed in brick with a brick mold.
Should I replace the entire door,  still in good shape of make/ buy a jamb and threshold. Do the sell a kit.  
Thanks in advance
Gary

Why buy a new door if you like the old one. Lumber yards sell jamb material . A plowed out jamb is better than 5/4 with nailed on parting strips for an exterior door. I would screw the head jamb between the sides and add threshold while still on the floor or saw horses. Square the jamb up, add two temporary scrap braces to keep jamb square. You can rout for hinges while flat or after installed. I cut the head 1/4" longer than the width of the door which gives you 1/8" margin once the hinges are in the mortise. 

mike
Look up your local door supplier and get a frame from them. Preferably an all PVC one or one that has PVC bottoms. Even if you want wood it's usually cheaper to buy a new wood frame from a supplier than you can get the raw material to make one yourself. 

Since the threshold is rotted check the bottom of the metal door. The inside of metal doors are wood and the bottom piece holds the weather strip in and that piece is usually the first part to rot in a door. There is no good repair for rotted wood in a metal door.
Thanks for all the replies living just outside Beaumont tx th3 proj3ct was delayed by rain. Got to last weekend and found the door also had rot in the bottom the wife decided it would be a good time to get the full light door she wanted. So we installed a complete new door. Vinyl trim with a threshold pan
Gary
Excellent choice to use the threshold pan!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"