Cbn discs for Worksharp
I noticed that Woodturning Wonders is offering CBN wheels for the Worksharp. Has anyone tried them? Yes, $150 for the set is pricey, but I would probably save that in a year if I don't have to buy sandpaper.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(09-16-2019, 08:54 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: I noticed that Woodturning Wonders is offering CBN wheels for the Worksharp. Has anyone tried them? Yes, $150 for the set is pricey, but I would probably save that in a year if I don't have to buy sandpaper.
I use Uxcel diamond lap plates from Amazon...6" dia with 1/2" bore,,,heavy steel plates with electroplated diamond in quite a few different grits, fit WorkSharp perfectly and they are less than 12bucks each...I have never worn one out but when they no longer cut, I can glue sandpaper to them....or glue leather to them for a power strop.

They are also available in 8" dia and can fit the Veritas MKll with a bushing...I have two for that machine as well...

I have a 180gr WTW CBN wheel and they are excellent..I am sure their laps are also but if you don't want to spring for them, the diamond laps are a cheaper alternative...I have one in 3,000grit....not sure they are that fine in CBN.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I also have one of the diamond wheels for my WS that Timberwolf mentioned. I can only imagine the CBN wheel is just as good or better. I wouldn't save nearly as much as you on sandpaper, but I may have to look into those.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks. I think I'm going to see if my woodworking club will spring for a set. If the club will go for it, I will do a review.
Jack, do you glue the discs to the glass wheel?
(09-17-2019, 11:02 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Jack, do you glue the discs to the glass wheel?

Dave, the discs are all steel about 90 thou thick or more..and they just lay on the glass disc and are held there by the locking knob/screw......They are pretty heavy and they run true....no glue necessary..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-16-2019, 10:47 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I use Uxcel diamond lap plates from Amazon...6" dia with 1/2" bore,,,heavy steel plates with electroplated diamond in quite a few different grits, fit WorkSharp perfectly and they are less than 12bucks each...I have never worn one out but when they no longer cut, I can glue sandpaper to them....or glue leather to them for a power strop.

They are also available in 8" dia and can fit the Veritas MKll with a bushing...I have two for that machine as well...

I have a 180gr WTW CBN wheel and they are excellent..I am sure their laps are also but if you don't want to spring for them, the diamond laps are a cheaper alternative...I have one in 3,000grit....not sure they are that fine in CBN.
What grits do you recommend buying? Thanks.
(09-18-2019, 09:09 AM)pgriff Wrote: What grits do you recommend buying? Thanks.

Well, diamonds are pretty aggressive...I have several grits in 6" and a couple in 8"...My coarsest one IIRC is 280 and the finest is 3,000...but if I have to pick one it would be either 400 or 600 grit... Picking three, I would choose 280, 600 and 1500...as they wear their action is much less aggressive....I ALWAYS use with a few drops of oil on the plate...any oil will do but thin baby oil is cheap and works as well as any.....baby oil is sold in two viscosities { Dollar store } and I use both...Thick on the coarsest grits and thin on the finest...the thicker the oil, the more polished the grind...whatever works best for you but I don't recommend using them DRY. WD40 will work but it slings off quickly making a big mess!!!

These 6" laps are large enough to use for hand sharpening if you don't have a WorkSharp..just lay them on a flat surface and use like you would any other flat diamond plate.......but use oil or WD40....

Remember that these laps are electroplated with diamond, and wont tolerate heavy pressure, so use a light touch until you get the feel of how well they work...AND read the specs and the description to make sure you are ordering the correct lap....They may vary between brands...AND don't use them to grind any metal other than hardened steel. Soft metals will load them and make them useless.....Just like the CBN wheels..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-18-2019, 11:35 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
Well, diamonds are pretty aggressive...I have several grits in 6" and a couple in 8"...My coarsest one IIRC is 280 and the finest is 3,000...but if I have to pick one it would be either 400 or 600 grit... Picking three, I would choose 280, 600 and 1500...as they wear their action is much less aggressive....I ALWAYS use with a few drops of oil on the plate...any oil will do but thin baby oil is cheap and works as well as any.....baby oil is sold in two viscosities { Dollar store } and I use both...Thick on the coarsest grits and thin on the finest...the thicker the oil, the more polished the grind...whatever works best for you but I don't recommend using them DRY. WD40 will work but it slings off quickly making a big mess!!!

These 6" laps are large enough to use for hand sharpening if you don't have a WorkSharp..just lay them on a flat surface and use like you would any other flat diamond plate.......but use oil or WD40....

Remember that these laps are electroplated with diamond, and wont tolerate heavy pressure, so use a light touch until you get the feel of how well they work...AND read the specs and the description to make sure you are ordering the correct lap....They may vary between brands...AND don't use them to grind any metal other than hardened steel. Soft metals will load them and make them useless.....Just like the CBN wheels..
Thanks for the information, Jack. I will have to look into getting some.