Boat builders out there?
Time consuming: That's expected. This won't be a quick project.

Money saved? Maybe. But I can pay a little at a time as I build it.

I've never been known to do things the easy way.

Wink
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-19-2019, 10:03 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Time consuming:  That's expected.  This won't be a quick project.

Money saved?  Maybe.  But I can pay a little at a time as I build it.

I've never been known to do things the easy way.

Wink

Hah! I have plans (B&B Yacht Designs) for a smaller (2 person) sail boat, and registered, that I bought nearly 20 years ago. A design very similar to and competitive with a very popular White design offered by Wooden Boat. The first thing I did was start fiddling with the design. I will never build it. 

My Before-BIL had a Hobie Cat that was a kick in the pants to sail. That was over forty years ago. I can feel your desire!
I'd love to do this in a class setting, but with a newborn, a nine year old in dance M-F until 8pm, and a sixteen year old with marching band or JROTC events most weekends and weekdays, I wouldn't be able to sign up for one.  Studying the plans for basic cats and skiffs, I'm really leaning towards a skiff, especially the one above.  I'll link it here.  It's a super simple design, and with all the drawings included, looks like it'll be a breeze to build.  Since I'll be using fiberglass on it, if I settle on this design, I'll forego the frame and just build it with stitch and glue, with ribs and battens to add rigidity.  With a simple design, I'm hoping that I might get it done by next fall (a couple other projects need to get done before I start it and use up *all* the free space in my shop.  A Stevenson Weekender has been suggested by several fudge who have built boats, and while I love the design, the intricacy and expense of building it will keep me from it for now.  Though, if I build this and enjoy using it, that Weekender will definitely be a later project.

I really hope to get this done in time to get my older daughter out on the water before she graduates and moves back to Virginia with her mother at least once or twice, and my nine year old is chomping at the bit to get a boat and go fishing.  Who knows what my newborn will want later, but I have dreams of teaching him to fish and pilot it in a few years.

I figure I can build the basic boat, sans outboard and sail, for under $1500.  An outboard, rated for 6-10hp, used, should be pretty affordable.  I've found sites that sell sail kits that the user sews together to save some cash there.

On the link below, scroll down until you come to the plans.  Click on the one circled in red to see what I'm looking at.  I'll build it with both the outboard and sailing options.  The outboard so it'll be kid friendly and the sail so I can take it out solo when I get a hankering for some easy sailing.

https://www.christinedemerchant.com/free...skiff.html

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(09-20-2019, 12:04 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: ...I figure I can build the basic boat, sans outboard and sail, for under $1500...

For $1500 you could buy a used boat with sails and motor and be sailing next weekend.
Wood is good. 
I could.

But I want something that isn't beat to hell and I want to build it myself and have something that's pretty when it's done.
Semper fi,
Brad

Wink 
(09-20-2019, 12:54 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: For $1500 you could buy a used boat with sails and motor and be sailing next weekend.

His desire to build a boat, which is understandable, is at odds with his daughter's desire to get out on the water soon...and with his desire to spend time with the kids soon on the water.

The solution is to buy a used boat, then build a boat, then sell the first boat.

It's easy to spend other people's money!  
Yes
(09-20-2019, 01:54 PM)steveG Wrote: The solution is to buy a used boat, then build a boat, then sell the first boat.

It's easy to spend other people's money!  
Yes

He wouldn't lose money on a cheap day sailer
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

This is just a hard one to be a peanut gallery advisor. Family relationships are diverse and complicated.

Umm, have the kids been on boats, to sail, to fish, to horse around? If one is in high school steer her to a boy who has boat access. Dad can still build the boat of his dreams. He can still get a used one to have now. With a kid, don't hang family fun on a nebulus future with a lot of work in the interim. 

It took me one winter before graduation to find a kayak plan--magazines only and this one from England--round up materials and buy the most expensive part, the paddle; then build the craft for a senior break river trip. There was no help and I had to create my own motivation and drive to do the build in the middle of school

The greatest fun my wife and I had was lazing in a rubber raft, me fishing and her steering the electric motor. However, that activity was part of a whole camping experience, which we both experienced from the time we were babies.
When I was a kid my parents had an old, hand-me-down plywood boat. It was only good for a few seasons, but I remember having an amazing time on it.

Both my older kids enjoy boats. We go to Florida annually to spend time with the inlaws. Until two years ago they had a 20' power boat.

My daughter graduating in two years, AND my desire to finally get back to fishing, are the only motivation I need. I want a boat and I want to build one.
Semper fi,
Brad

The last three boats I've owned which required extensive refit/restoration.

[Image: 227941-fdd91401a0d40daa.jpg]
[Image: tn-33.jpg]
[Image: risky-business-1.jpg]
Wood is good.