Electronic ear muffs for the shop?
Has anyone found some good electronic ear muffs for shop and woodworking tasks?  I'm looking for a good pair from Howard Leight, Peltor, or other brands to wear when using power tools, a table saw, etc., but comfortable enough to leave on and hear thing when it's quiet.  There seem to be some good electronic ear muffs for shooting that allow one to hear voices well, but I'm not seeing the equivalent for shop noises.
I use my Peltor shooting muffs - they have the behind the head "strap" so its not pushing on my head all the time. Only caveat is remembering to turn them off after use to save the battery. They work quite well IMHO
A good friend of mine and retired Air Force engineer was cutting metal with a saw in the hanger. The noise was killing my ears from 60 feet away- I got my muffs from the truck and asked him if he didn't think wearing them was a good idea. He said; "No- I just don't listen". When I was in his hangers office, I noticed more than two pairs sitting on a desk. One was electronic and torn apart for some reason, I can only guess quit working, so I grabbed a non-elect pair and handed them to him.
I got so used to wearing them, sometimes I wear them just to enjoy silence, but only because I have the option of hearing.
(09-17-2019, 10:14 PM)Bryan11 Wrote: Has anyone found some good electronic ear muffs for shop and woodworking tasks?  I'm looking for a good pair from Howard Leight, Peltor, or other brands to wear when using power tools, a table saw, etc., but comfortable enough to leave on and hear thing when it's quiet.  There seem to be some good electronic ear muffs for shooting that allow one to hear voices well, but I'm not seeing the equivalent for shop noises.

I use the cheap ones from HF, they are the only ones I have tried. As they only engage at high dB's, I can listen to the radio, or hear my cellphone whilst working in the shop. Downside is I can also hear my SWMBO...
Wink
(09-18-2019, 08:30 AM)vernonator Wrote: I use my Peltor shooting muffs - they have the behind the head "strap" so its not pushing on my head all the time. Only caveat is remembering to turn them off after use to save the battery. They work quite well IMHO

Could you tell me the model of Peltor muffs you use?
I didn't buy these specifically for use in the shop but I use a Bose QC 35ii. Great noise cancelling and sound quality. Con side is the pretty high price tag.
I like my Bose.  It's pretty funny to me what they don't get rid of.  But they don't let any bothersome noises through. That being said, I never would have bought them for myself, they were a Christmas present.
From reading many reviews on Amazon, these look like popular options.  
  • Peltor Sport Tactical 300 Electronic Hearing Protector, NRR 24 dB, $81
  • Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro  (R-01902), NRR 30 db, $63
  • Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport (R-02524), NRR 22 db, $58
  • Walker's Razor Slim Electronic Muff, NRR 23 db, $43
  • Cowin E7, NRR 28 db, $60
  • Bose qc35 ii - $349
All of these have at least a few reviews mentioning they work well with woodworking.  Then again, Fakespot think many of the reviews could have been manipulated or are fake.

Are there other brands and models to consider?
(09-19-2019, 09:41 PM)Bryan11 Wrote: From reading many reviews on Amazon, these look like popular options.  
  • Peltor Sport Tactical 300 Electronic Hearing Protector, NRR 24 dB, $81
  • Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro  (R-01902), NRR 30 db, $63
  • Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport (R-02524), NRR 22 db, $58
  • Walker's Razor Slim Electronic Muff, NRR 23 db, $43
  • Cowin E7, NRR 28 db, $60
  • Bose qc35 ii - $349
All of these have at least a few reviews mentioning they work well with woodworking.  Then again, Fakespot think many of the reviews could have been manipulated or are fake.

Are there other brands and models to consider?
I have gone through 3 pairs of the Sport Tactical 300; the left side quit working on all 3.
Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!