Replace Casement Window with Aluminum Siding
(09-26-2019, 12:26 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Yeah....I'm not going to complain.  It's 70 degrees, sunny, breezy, and 40% humidity right now.  All the windows and doors are open
Smile

Nice. She will be enjoying it tomorrow without me in Mentor. (she is from Mentor on the lake) Looks like we are headed down in temps now. Looks like mid to high 90s today and then taper down.

If you ever need a hand on a project when I'm up there let me know. I am done with LOMLs condo now and always looking for somewhere to hide while there...
I have an Andersen bow window that I put in 25 years ago.  I did have one sash that fogged up after 21 years and Andersen sent me out a new one.  My nephew has Pella and had a sash go bad and after 10 years and Pella wouldn't cover it.
(09-27-2019, 05:18 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I have an Andersen bow window that I put in 25 years ago.  I did have one sash that fogged up after 21 years and Andersen sent me out a new one.  My nephew has Pella and had a sash go bad and after 10 years and Pella wouldn't cover it.

Pella is notorious for terrible customer service. While I like their double hungs for ease of installation and mulling, I cringe at the thought of trying to get them to cover a problem. Andersen has fantastic customer service.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-27-2019, 05:40 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Pella is notorious for terrible customer service. While I like their double hungs for ease of installation and mulling, I cringe at the thought of trying to get them to cover a problem. Andersen has fantastic customer service.

Hmmmm...that's a point for me to really consider.  Honoring warranties and customer services is a big notch in my book.  Are the Andersen windows really that much harder to mull/install?  I'm thinking half of the windows in my house would end up being two windows mulled together.
(09-26-2019, 01:41 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:           Nice. She will be enjoying it tomorrow without me in Mentor. (she is from Mentor on the lake) Looks like we are headed down in temps now. Looks like mid to high 90s today and then taper down.

If you ever need a hand on a project when I'm up there let me know. I am done with LOMLs condo now and always looking for somewhere to hide while there...

How about this....let me know the next time you're coming up and I'll make sure I have a house-load of replacement windows waiting for me in the garage 
Laugh
You can order Andersen as one unit that they put together.  I special ordered mine as I wanted a bow
(09-27-2019, 09:53 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Hmmmm...that's a point for me to really consider.  Honoring warranties and customer services is a big notch in my book.  Are the Andersen windows really that much harder to mull/install?  I'm thinking half of the windows in my house would end up being two windows mulled together.

Not bad to mull but the flange doesn't fold down like the Pella. So an andersen has to be installed from the outside. A Pella can be installed from the inside (unless something has changed with Andersen). You still have to stop a Pella from pushing through so someone or something has to be on the outside to stop it from falling through. Keep in mind, I'm talking about new construction windows which I like to use if possible.

The big deal is 2nd story installations. You can't mull windows once installed so windows need to be joined (mulled) before installing. Lifting large windows for the outside, for an upper floor installation is difficult. Much easier to do inside the home than outside.

You can see what I did here with 2x4s to stop the mulled window from falling through. I used 2x4 blocks to keep the long 2x4s away from the wall. Push the window from the inside-out until it hits the long 2x4s. Go outside and fold out the flange and push the window/flange up against the sheathing and nail in the flange while using something inside (2x4s in my case) to hold the window upright.

[Image: VDrAIDB.jpg]

The inside view.... this was a single 32 inch wide window originally so what we were doing here is replacing it with a much larger window to allow more light into our master bedroom. We live in the woods so we don't get much light.

You can see a temporary shelf at the base of the rough opening. I mulled those windows with them laying flat and the bottom of the windows on that shelf. The top of the windows were supported by saw horses. Once mulled, I jst stood up the window on that shelf and pushed the window into the rough opening. My wife helped me stand up the window and push it in. Something this size is a little "floppy" so I needed her help to keep it all intact while standing it up.

[Image: y5t5lS0.jpg]

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

The old window
[Image: oiEwVDP.jpg]

... Kizar Sosay

Makes complete sense, and sure would be a lot easier when the time comes to install an upstairs window!  Decisions decisions.