Replace Casement Window with Aluminum Siding
(09-22-2019, 07:19 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: If you want wood go for it. Personally I wouldn't go with wood even if it was the same price as vinyl. Wood is nice but it will rot again. I would only do wood if it was a histerical house which I would never own. 

To get them in the US there are companies making them here now but they want stupid prices for them. Here is one supplier that will order them from europe and has some standard sizes in stock but the shipping etc prices bring that cost up. http://www.europeantiltturnwindows.com/w...-in-stock/ 

Yeah...I've been to Europe a few times...and I agree with your point.  Their windows are far superior to what we have here.  Wish they didn't cost so much....

Oh...and it's not a historical house...and I agree that wood will rot again.  That's why I particularly liked the composite (non-moving) product from Renewal by Andersen.
....one other thing I should mention.  I personally think we have about 10 years left in this house.  That being said....I originally told myself that my first house was going to be a 5 year investment.  Ended up 10-something in that one.  So it's possible the 10 years I'm saying now could become 20 
Laugh
Not sure how this would pan out pricewise, but have you considered a bay window (fixed) flanked by operable windows?
(09-24-2019, 09:23 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Not sure how this would pan out pricewise, but have you considered a bay window (fixed) flanked by operable windows?

Leaning towards three windows making up one.  50% picture window in the middle flanked by 25% each left/right double hung.
(09-24-2019, 08:58 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Snipe - those kinds of details are exactly what I am looking for.  Do you know of any resources that describe out step by step things like dealing with the brick molding and aluminum siding?  Or maybe I just make a project of it here.  I'll perform exploratory surgery by removing a window and posting pictures here asking for the next/right steps
Smile

Thanks all for the advice!
Kevin

I really don't since most aluminum is long gone and replaced with vinyl. Window installers generally don't mess with it and just set the new brick-mold against the old siding and re-caulk. It works but you have to be vigilant about maintaining the caulk and keeping the brick-mold painted. You might look at YouTube. The bigger window companies also offer re-siding.

I replaced a window which was installed just a few years ago and the installer nailed down a 1x wood strip along the edge of the siding, butting up against the new window frame and nailed a wider 1x on top covering the edge of the siding. Kind of amateurish but it worked and the paint was still good. This is basically the same think I recommended using vinyl board.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Found this last night and it REALLY helped me understand the process:
https://www.installpella.com/windows/ful...placement/

Now I understand your point about creating my own J-channel.  

So a high-level task list would be something like:
Carefully remove caulking.
Carefully remove existing brick moulding.
Remove existing window from the outside.
Inspect frame/opening.
Measure to make sure opening is 1/2 to 3/4" larger than the window ordered.
Set new window from the outside
Shim/adjust and then nail new window in place.
Apply sealing foil tape per instructions.
Rip PVC board to exact width needed as brick moulding. (3/16 wider)
Cut a dado on the siding edge of the PVC board that is just barely larger than the width needed to accommodate the zig-zag pattern edge of the aluminum siding and 1/4" deep.
Slide the aluminum "into" the channel and then nail the PVC board in place. 
Use PVC glue or other approved adhesive to join/weld the brick moulding's corners.
Caulk where the moulding meets the siding, and where the moulding meets the new window.

So.  I guess now that leaves me with deciding A, do I personally feel up to tackling a window this large, or pay an installer.  And then B, go with a wood replacement....or with one of the large manufacturer's composite material instead.
Can't help on the vinyl J channel. Vinyl is very rare on houses here since most citys require 60-75% masonry construction so few have much experience with it and fewer are good at it...

Make sure you waterproof the window opening before installing the new window and then tape it up after the install. Lots of good resources on how to properly waterproof a window online and youtube. It involves lots of tape these days and I really like the stretch tapes for the corners so you have no seams and joints there. 

I see you are in Cleveland. LOML is flying up friday to visit her mom. I usually go but loads are tight these days and I am still getting rid of the sinus gunk and have a new washer and dryer coming saturday. If I was going I would show you what I would use to water seal with and how but it's all online. Believe me I would love to get away from here since it's still 100* and 43% humidity here.
43% Humidity
Is that high or low there?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-25-2019, 07:41 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 43% Humidity
Is that high or low there?

Well when it's 100* and 43% the heat index is 112*. 43% at 100* is very humid but it  has been higher and usually by morning it will drop to just under 80* and around 80% humidity...  And it's 8.30 and it's still 88* but a low 53% humidity. Maybe start cooling the end of next week. It's much cooler and drier out in the desert of AZ than it is here...

Here is a link to my weather station. https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/.../KTXAZLE23 It has been having some connection issues lately so there are gaps in the logs on their site.

Never believe the temperatures the news has for places. Check the areas outside the airport where it's hotter. It's funny the one at DFW the news uses is between two runways in a nice cool grassy area. It always reads at least 5* less than the surrounding stations. There is a station at one of the fire stations at the airport and oddly enough it reads higher like everyone elses does. Those official stations the news use are fishy.
Yeah....I'm not going to complain.  It's 70 degrees, sunny, breezy, and 40% humidity right now.  All the windows and doors are open
Smile