Welcome Find
Here it is again going through hard maple like a hot knife through butter!  It was pulling to the right just slightly but a quick swipe with the diamond stone and it splits the line!

[Image: m3zZPvb.png]Click For Full-Size Image.

[Image: m3zZPvb.png]Click For Full-Size Image.
(09-29-2019, 05:55 PM)DonSlaughter Wrote: I don't know if you've ever used Evapo-Rust but I've had fantastic results cleaning saw plates with it. 

I'm hesitant about evaporust as a while back I read some technical piece about high carbon saw plates and chelation that was not positive, so I remain wary.  Saw plates are relatively thin, and if vintage, have been hammer tensioned, so I'd rather not risk messing any of that up.  I scrape with a razor, and use sandpaper/steel wool/scotchbrite with Windex as a lube; cleaning a plate really doesn't take all that long.

I don't know of any sawsmith who restores and sharpens saws who uses chemical means to clean the plate; maybe one might speak up here on this as I'd like to hear their opinions on this.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sometimes, I'll use Simple Green ( full strength) and a wide,old chisel....to scrape away the worst of the rust/crud.

Turtle Wax makes a polishing compound ( 2 actually)   that can then polish a saw plate quite well....use a green (3M) Scatchy Pad to scrub with first....then, buff things out with a few clean rags...

Compared to...

Worse of the crud was soaked in PBBlaster, THEN scraped down...before the green pad was used ( even attached the pad to a palm sander, and LIGHTLY pressing down)

YMMV...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-10-2019, 10:43 AM)Admiral Wrote: I'm hesitant about evaporust as a while back I read some technical piece about high carbon saw plates and chelation that was not positive, so I remain wary.  Saw plates are relatively thin, and if vintage, have been hammer tensioned, so I'd rather not risk messing any of that up.  I scrape with a razor, and use sandpaper/steel wool/scotchbrite with Windex as a lube; cleaning a plate really doesn't take all that long.

I don't know of any sawsmith who restores and sharpens saws who uses chemical means to clean the plate; maybe one might speak up here on this as I'd like to hear their opinions on this.

Thanks for chiming in, Admiral. I did not know...never heard of the chelation factor.  As I said, I've used it extensively on all kinds of tools....sure hope I haven't ruined any of them.  I, probably, have a dozen or more saws I've use it on and they haven't presented any problems...is there any way I could investigate to see if the chelation has negatively affected them?.  I don't mind using the elbow grease to clean up the saw plate but, when I discovered how effectively this non toxic chemical worked...it just made sense to do it.  I was introduced to it by someone on one of the forums and was told to always rinse thoroughly and lubricate the plate immediately. I use tallow and always clean & lube after use as well.