raised panel top sliding lid box
so to make a raised panel on a solid sliding lid, would I just use a cove bit in a router, or is there another way? Cut a rabbet, and then use a hand plane?
(09-25-2019, 04:44 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: so to make a raised panel on a solid sliding lid, would I just use a cove bit in a router, or is there another way? Cut a rabbet, and then use a hand plane?

You could use a router bit (there a bits specifically for raised panels like the first three on this page) or the tablesaw or a hand plane. Do whatever is safe and gives you the profile you want.
(09-25-2019, 04:44 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: so to make a raised panel on a solid sliding lid, would I just use a cove bit in a router, or is there another way? Cut a rabbet, and then use a hand plane?

Depends on the look you want in the finished project. 

The two ways you list are suitable but will have a much different appearance in the final project. 

If the lid is to slide as you say, having a square tongue might be a better bet as it would fit the grooves. Raised panels done only with a cove bit would have a bit of a radius to one side (or both if you router both sides).

Router table alternatives include rabbet bits, slot cutters, panel raising bits, straight bits, cove bits, bevel bits and probably a dozen more I'm forgetting plus combinations of bits.

The table saw can do fielded panels, rabbetted panels, beveled panels and combinations of same.

Hand tools, you can do all of the same.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin