Lathe spindle bearing removal
Hi kids, long time no see.
Finally got my lathe running this summer. It’s an old power king.
Recently, there’s been some ticking, and since the bearings are probably 75 yrs old, I thought I’d try to replace them. I finally got the spindle out today, you’d cringe if you saw how I did it, luckily I didn’t take pictures...

So now, I can’t get the pulley out, and I don’t want to press all the way thru the left bearing, thru the pot metal pulley, and into the right bearing to get it out. Has anyone dealt with this before? Do I need a bearing puller to hopefully yank the main bearing out to release the pulley? Any advice would be appreciated!

I’m going to do pic links, if anyone has trouble viewing I’ll try to figure out the google photos on my iPad...

This is basically where I am now...

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOo...g1JMrxwDkC

Thanks!!
Benny

Pics not working.

Does it look like this?

[Image: 35733-B.jpg]
(09-25-2019, 06:08 PM)bennybmn Wrote: Hi kids, long time no see.
Finally got my lathe running this summer. It’s an old power king.
Recently, there’s been some ticking, and since the bearings are probably 75 yrs old, I thought I’d try to replace them. I finally got the spindle out today, you’d cringe if you saw how I did it, luckily I didn’t take pictures...

So now, I can’t get the pulley out, and I don’t want to press all the way thru the left bearing, thru the pot metal pulley, and into the right bearing to get it out. Has anyone dealt with this before? Do I need a bearing puller to hopefully yank the main bearing out to release the pulley? Any advice would be appreciated!

I’m going to do pic links, if anyone has trouble viewing I’ll try to figure out the google photos on my iPad...

This is basically where I am now...

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOo...g1JMrxwDkC

Thanks!!

Remove set screws. Pulley should turn while spindle is held fast. If not , heat the pulley with a heat gun. Once the pulley is turning on the shaft try to remove the spindle. The bearings may be tight on the shaft and the spindle may not move. Heat the bearings with heat gun, turn the shaft and pull at same time. Wood mallet tapped on end of spindle may help. Protect the threads with a nut  before tapping.
WD-40, PB Blaster , etc may help. After spindle and pulley are removed , bearings may come out by heating the pillow blocks and tapping the bearings with a suitable piece of wood. Cut offs from a broom handle often are the correct size. If you have a bearing puller then try it first.

mike
Rotate pulley so empty set screw hole is to top. Fill with penetrating fluid. A couple heat cool cycles with a heat gun. Also take a file and lightly de-burr the tops of the screw threads on the shaft before you attempt to push it through. Not gauranteed to help but will not hurt.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Also look carefully for a second grub screw. I have seen them put in the large end of the pulley set at a slight angle.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Ok so I got the spindle out. Sorry about the pics...
The bearings won’t budge, and I can’t get the pulley out. It’s captive with the spacers. So I can’t push on the bearings from the back. I’m going to see about borrowing a bearing puller from the auto parts store.
Benny

Your pic isn’t showing either lol ??‍♂️
Benny

As a side thought, I had a ticking sound on my lathe once and it ended up being a tiny speck of burnt rubber on one pulley. So, you might want to check your pulleys.
(09-26-2019, 05:57 AM)KyleD Wrote: Also look carefully for a second grub screw. I have seen them put in the large end of the pulley set at a slight angle.
And that "second" grub screw could be that there is still another one beneath the one you removed, used to lock the first screw in place, like "double nutting"...That used to be a pretty common practice with "set-screws" in the olden days, to keep them from loosening up.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Good point on the screws. As for rubber in the pulleys, I doubt it, but I’m way past that now lol. I’m using a link belt, which isn’t a great fit either, but it was running quietly before.

Borrowed a slide hammer from the auto parts store today after breaking a harbor freight bearing puller.

Any harm in using a propane torch to heat the cast iron?
Benny