Lathe spindle bearing removal
(10-02-2019, 07:18 PM)bennybmn Wrote: Good point on the screws. As for rubber in the pulleys, I doubt it, but I’m way past that now lol. I’m using a link belt, which isn’t a great fit either, but it was running quietly before.

Borrowed a slide hammer from the auto parts store today after breaking a harbor freight bearing puller.

Any harm in using a propane torch to heat the cast iron?

No harm to the cast iron but keep the flame moving...don't heat just one spot...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-02-2019, 07:18 PM)bennybmn Wrote: Good point on the screws. As for rubber in the pulleys, I doubt it, but I’m way past that now lol. I’m using a link belt, which isn’t a great fit either, but it was running quietly before.

Borrowed a slide hammer from the auto parts store today after breaking a harbor freight bearing puller.

Any harm in using a propane torch to heat the cast iron?

Heat cast iron slowly and evenly and allow it to cool slowly.

I have found it helpful on some to wrap wet rags around the shaft the pulley is stuck on, then heat the pulley- sometimes the pulley just falls off.
 Aluminum pulleys can be easier- just melt them off and get another pulley.
Found that second screw by the way... also I got it out, and ordered some fresh bearings. I ended up using an 8” C clamp and some big ok washers to push them out.
Benny

That’s funny about melting the pulley! I did end up filing a bevel in th end to pop it out of the way.
Benny