dominos too wide for mortise?
I'm making some dominos mortises in plywood.
The narrow setting with the 5mm bit ends up too narrow so that the tapered ears of the loose tenons won't fit into the mortise.

I seem to recall some old threads about this -- is there a known cause that can be avoided,
or should I just be expecting to either trim the domino or use the medium-width mortise?

thanks,
Matt
I saw Scott Phillips using Festool tenons on his show, and he said you have to sand the edges to get them in easily. My own experience is that they fit snugly (but they fit) and what he said was his usual BS. But it could be a unique batch that fits too snugly, making a wider mortise does no harm.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have that problem with the smallest size of dominoes. A few swipes on the edge with a block plane from each side and they are a perfect fit. If i am doing any number of them I fix the plane in the vice and push the dominoes across the upward facing bottom of the plane. Easy Peasy.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Never had a problem but it is a snug fit. I would be willing to bet that moisture absorption has caused a little swelling in the domino. Pop one in the oven or microwave for a few moments and see if "drying" them out helps.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I have the same problem and have for years. I have to shave each one with a block plane or use the next widest setting.
-Marc

(09-28-2019, 12:48 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I have the same problem and have for years. I have to shave each one with a block plane or use the next widest setting.

I have placed a dozen into a plastic cup and microwaved them for 20 seconds or so, they get warm and release a little moisture and then they fit. I've also sanded them lightly.
If using dowels, I always put them in a metal coffee can and point a hair dryer on low into the can for about 15 minutes. Would probably work with dominoes or biscuits too. Really makes a difference.
Thanks everyone.
With drying (microwave), they do lose a bit of size and the thickness is a better fit.
The domino is still too wide for a mortise in a hard material.  I think they could probably work with pine by compressing the wood around them.

Is that just the characteristics of the small-diameter mortise at the narrow setting?

(I ended up switching to a medium setting and recutting the batch of mortises; a hair wide now, but at least I can get the domino in.)

Matt
If it's the width and not the thickness that's the problem, just set your domino to the middle setting for width. The additional width allows some positioning of the tenon, but you really don't lose much strength in the joint.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Dominoes are designed to be tight in mortises cut in the narrow setting. A mallet, not your thumb, is what you should use to drive them in after glue is applied. If you are talking about dry assembly, microwaving them will be a solution.

Shaving or sanding the edges works but that method is a joke for people using dominoes for a living. They use hundreds if not thousands of them in a week (some of them make their own to reduce costs). Scott Phillips...people still watch his show?

By the way, you must use narrow to narrow setting if it is a structural joint.

Simon