I like a challenge but....
(09-28-2019, 04:18 AM)Duane N Wrote: ....not this much.

This was attempt #3 to glue up the 2 small Walnut counter tops together last night.  The issue I've been having is the tops shifting as I clamp them together and the set up time for the Titebond III glue I'm using.  The first 2 attempts I just used biscuits (mainly to help line up the 2 tops) and an outside corner bracket.  This last attempt I also added two 3/4" Oak dowels and the dry fit went well but during glue up the tops shifted yet again.  Also, either my saw wasn't at 90 degrees or the blade flexed because there's a taper causing a gap towards the top of the 2 counter tops.

What also concerns me is this was supposed to be the easy one at only 5 1/2 feet long.  The other two tops are 10 1/2 feet long and I have to do them in place due to the length and weight of the Walnut.

For starters your miters look good. Next time use Hot hide glue for the miters. The joint is glued and held together with hand pressure for about 3 or 4 minutes. When the glue cools to the touch you can remove any excess and  release hand pressure . Takes about 2 hours before it can be handled safely. Remove excess glue within 2 hours and it will be as easy as just rolling the glue with your thumb and fingers. If by chance the glue is hard to remove or if the joint is not perfect then heat the joint with a heat gun. Hot hide glue will soften and the joint can then be re-aligned. Many times the miters will never line up caused by slight difference in width of the boards. Then a straight narrow strip is added so the miters abut the strip and not each other. Even a 3/4" wide strip will make the miters appear perfect.

mike
Loose tennons is what you should be using. 

Perfect app for a domino....but a router and a jig will work.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)