WTB Lie-Nielsen 102 Bronze block plane
WTB: L-N bronze 102 block plane, or possibly a 103.  Please PM with a photo and price.  Thanks.
Might be hard to get someone to part with it, I love mine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-29-2019, 06:26 PM)Admiral Wrote: Might be hard to get someone to part with it, I love mine.

A brand new one costs $115 from LN. What does he expect to pay for a used one, I wonder. Quite often these sell for more than list price on eBay to those living in places (Russia, etc.) where such tools cannot be purchased directly from LN. 

Oh well, I suppose the "nothing ventured nothing gained" proverb might apply here, but more likely the "if wishes were horses beggars would ride" is more apt.
Smile 
Actually I was going to pay over list like they do on eBay.....but you talked me out of it
Rolleyes
Well, used LN tools in good condition get from 70% to 80% of new on the usual WW forums (I know this because I have sold $thousands of LN tools over the years). Keep looking: I thought I had one for you, but I had already sold it (have a set of white bronze that I have been using). I suspect that there is one out there with your name on it.
(09-30-2019, 03:53 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Well, used LN tools in good condition get from 70% to 80% of new on the usual WW forums (I know this because I have sold $thousands  of LN tools over the years).  Keep looking: I thought I had one for you, but I had already sold it (have a set of white bronze that I have been using). I suspect that there is one out there with your name on it.

I recall you selling many lots of LN tools over the years, which amazes me because I never ran across any LN collections from estates while living in IL; and you are in MI, right? 

LN was recently offering the 102 in white bronze @ $150.  Probably should have done that.  I have the 102 in iron (no longer made).
Actually I am in Connecticut, but the tools I sold came from all over the country. I have noticed that the volume of WW tools of all sorts being bought and sold is no where near what it was a few years ago. Not sure if its the economy or if it suggests a downturn in the overall level of activity in the woodworking community.

The white bronze models are very nice and $150 is not out of line for a limited edition model such as that. I am sure the iron 102 works every bit as good as the bronze, so you are well fixed while you wait for the bronze model.

(09-30-2019, 06:29 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I recall you selling many lots of LN tools over the years, which amazes me because I never ran across any LN collections from estates while living in IL; and you are in MI, right? 

LN was recently offering the 102 in white bronze @ $150.  Probably should have done that.  I have the 102 in iron (no longer made).
(09-30-2019, 07:07 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Actually I am in Connecticut, but the tools I sold came from all over the country.  I have noticed that the volume of WW tools of all sorts being bought and sold is no where near what it was a few years ago.  Not sure if its the economy or if it suggests a downturn in the overall level of activity in the woodworking community.

The white bronze models are very nice and $150 is not out of line for a limited edition model such as that.  I am sure the iron 102 works every bit as good as the bronze, so you are well fixed while you wait for the bronze model.

I suggest there are far more active woodworkers using hand tools than there was a decade ago. The baby boomers are retiring by the millions, and more of them are buying tools than are selling them.
Hold up there Kemosahbees! That plane (Low angle 102 block plane) comes in bronze (standard) and is $115, according to my check of the online catalog a few minutes ago. I don't recall paying much less in a phone call to the store a few years ago. The only special I requested was O1 steel, as the standard switched to A2. You may be thinking of another numbered block plane. 

The little bugger keeps slipping into cracks and disappearing, or I'd be thrilled to pass it on to you for $150, and buy a new one at the same time. I even have the box which is easy to track.
(10-01-2019, 12:27 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Hold up there Kemosahbees! That plane (Low angle 102 block plane) comes in bronze (standard) and is $115, according to my check of the online catalog a few minutes ago. I don't recall paying much less in a phone call to the store a few years ago. The only special I requested was O1 steel, as the standard switched to A2. You may be thinking of another numbered block plane. 

The little bugger keeps slipping into cracks and disappearing, or I'd be thrilled to pass it on to you for $150, and buy a new one at the same time. I even have the box which is easy to track.

Last week a friend took a trip to Maine and of course stopped at LN, this weekend he showed me the white bronze 102 he bought; apparently they are in short supply and not advertised.  Very nice plane, although I don't think the white bronze adds anything to the functionality of the plane.  He also bought a #8, which was backordered.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis