performax 16-32
Gents:

UPDATE

Contacted JET CS, using the Performax part number:  21-1172 they found the clip.  No parts in stock,  New stock to arrive November 1.  I ordered one, received an order number.  

I am surprised!  I expected to be hung out to dry.  

Meanwhile I will work on disassembly of the drum to get at the inboard end.  The clip looks to have been fastened to the drum by a single #2 bolt.   The broken clip remains in the drum but nothing is attached to the bolt.  More fun ahead.

With gratitude to 6270 Productions; Yes, I think that clip may work.  I had not used that parts site.  The price is the same as Jets.  I will order that one and try to cancel the Jet order.  

Fredhargis Thanks to you also.  The supermax clip looks close, if not better. I will keep the part numbers in case they will be needed.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
l
Previously I posted about an issue attaching sandpaper to the closed end of the on a performax 16-32.  The special Jet tool came with the sander.  The tool and good suggestions from Woodnetters were tried without success. 

Purchased the sander used at our guild tool auction.  Previous owner passed.  Widow donated tools to the guild.  So I can't blame a fellow guild member.  

Today I seriously tried to used the sander.  Paper will not stay attached.   With the help of a small mirror on a stick I found the reason for my trouble:  part of the spring clip is missing.  Looked for parts on internet.  

When I clicked on the part on one part site a window came up with the message 'the most popular part' or words to that effect.  I thought good deal at least they know what I need.  But when the flash window disappeared, the part was listed as out-of-stock and unavailable.  

Jet purchased the Performax drum sanders.  The parts diagrams for the Jet 16-32 does not show clips to hold the sandpaper.  (Must be a story behind that with profit as its theme.)  

Now to the question.  I paid real money for what I thought was a drum sander.  I would like to make it work.  Has anyone found a solution for the missing closed end paper clip?  

Thanks  
Tom

I will call Jet CS tomorrow, if only to listen to their song and dance.
(09-29-2019, 05:47 PM)anwalt Wrote: Gents:
l
Previously I posted about an issue attaching sandpaper to the closed end of the on a performax 16-32.  The special Jet tool came with the sander.  The tool and good suggestions from Woodnetters were tried without success. 

Purchased the sander used at our guild tool auction.  Previous owner passed.  Widow donated tools to the guild.  So I can't blame a fellow guild member.  

Today I seriously tried to used the sander.  Paper will not stay attached.   With the help of a small mirror on a stick I found the reason for my trouble:  part of the spring clip is missing.  Looked for parts on internet.  

When I clicked on the part on one part site a window came up with the message 'the most popular part' or words to that effect.  I thought good deal at least they know what I need.  But when the flash window disappeared, the part was listed as out-of-stock and unavailable.  

Jet purchased the Performax drum sanders.  The parts diagrams for the Jet 16-32 does not show clips to hold the sandpaper.  (Must be a story behind that with profit as its theme.)  

Now to the question.  I paid real money for what I thought was a drum sander.  I would like to make it work.  Has anyone found a solution for the missing closed end paper clip?  

Thanks  
Tom

I will call Jet CS tomorrow, if only to listen to their song and dance.

Would these work?

https://www.fix.com/parts/sander-polishe...d-21-1172/
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
On my Woodmaster I just wrap both ends with 1/2" clear packing tape. The kind with the string in it. I think that is what they suggested. This is on a hook & loop system. I am totally unfamiliar with the Performax.

From a Woodmaster brochure.
  HOOK & LOOP MATS Stretch-proof paper mounting is easy other sanders have clips that make attaching/tensioning sandpaper difficult. Our self-adhesive Hook & Loop Mats hold our felt-backed paper securely. The harder you sand the tighter it grips.

If it's just a drum I do not see why you would not be able to utilize this method.

bottom of page 17

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I'll look at my Supermax 19-38 and see how how similiar the clips are to the ones you have (I saw the pic). You might be able to use them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-30-2019, 05:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll look at my Supermax 19-38 and see how how similiar the clips are to the ones you have (I saw the pic). You might be able to use them.

I have a Performax 16/32 and never have had an issue, but, I'm aiting for that day to occur. Hook and loop kits are available (Woodmaster and IIRC Grizzly) and an option. Last week, at a Rockler, I closely examined a Super Max (both 16" and 19"), and both clips shop work nicely. Further, what I liked about the SuperMax, was the additional room to get your fingers in: housing outside the roller seemed to be a bit wider, plus cut down for easier access-great feature.

Maybe the lack of room of the Jet causes some of us to try other holding methods to keep the paper in place while placing the paper in place, that inadvertently damages the clips?

If my clips go, I'd opt for hook and loop.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
OK, I got to look at my 19-38 clips and I'd swear they are almost identical to the old Performax ones. (Remember I'm comparing mine to a picture of yours) However, I searched the part numbers (inboard clip= 480DC-139, outboard is 480DS-140) and most of the after market parts dealers don't show up, looks like it's a only available from Supermax. Still, if you want to gamble I think you could get it to work. I tried to get a pic of the outboard clip.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-30-2019, 10:52 AM)fredhargis Wrote: OK, I got to look at my 19-38 clips and I'd swear they are almost identical to the old Performax ones. (Remember I'm comparing mine to a picture of yours) However, I searched the part numbers (inboard clip= 480DC-139, outboard is 480DS-140) and most of the after market parts dealers don't show up, looks like it's a only available from Supermax. Still, if you want to gamble I think you could get it to work. I tried to get a pic of the outboard clip.

My Performax 16/32 was bought right when Jet bought the company and Fred's pics look identical to what are on mine.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com