My Version of the Moxon Vise
(09-30-2019, 06:38 PM)Treebeard Wrote: Very nice Greg!

I'm curious who the maker was of the saws that are resting on your bench. Those handles look very nicely shaped.

- Mark
They are all Lie-Nielsen. One of them is an older progressive pitch dovetail, .020 plate, tpi is 16 to 9 IIRC, no longer made. I use it for a general purpose rip saw and also for dovetails in thick stock. Another dovetail saw, tapered with a .015 plate which I believe is still in the L-N catalog, and the third saw is filed crosscut. I also have one of their tenon saws.

The L-N saws are just about perfect for me, I’ve never been seriously tempted to switch to any of the other fine saws that are available today. Plus I consider the L-N saws to be a very good value, when compared to about any other high-end saw sold today. Probably only second to the Veritas saws, when looking for the most bang for your buck.
(09-30-2019, 01:07 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: Greg,

I built this one earlier this year, it has made life so much easier. The shelf on the back allows me to put a spacer  on top and clamp my tail board so I can mark out pins for DT...
Nicely done! I especially like the addition of the shelf-looks very useful.
(10-01-2019, 09:36 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Nice work Greg. I think any of us would be very happy with the Moxon you have built.

It looks very stout - how thick is the chop and the rear?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Both chops are 1-3/4”, and the base of the fixed jaw w/chop portion is a total of 5-1/2”.
Thanks Greg. Your chops are more than 50% thicker than mine. The Jarrah I used ended up about 28/29mm each. 1-3/4” is about 44mm. So mine is about 58mm total versus the 88mm of yours.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
You can avoid the protruding rod by fixing handwheels to the threaded rod and installing a captured nut in the rear chop.
(10-09-2019, 09:04 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: You can avoid the protruding rod by fixing handwheels to the threaded rod and installing a captured nut in the rear chop.

I considered this with my recent build, however it appeared to me that this would increase the amount of friction/effort to turn the wheels. Creating a short extension at the front - which can be adjusted as the need arises - means that there is less mass to spin.

[Image: TheLastMoxon_html_7dc7c35.jpg]

Incidentally, I refurbished my old Moxon for sale (have a couple of buyers already), bringing it up to the specs of the new version ...

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 7.jpg]

[Image: 11.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-09-2019, 09:53 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I considered this with my recent build, however it appeared to me that this would increase the amount of friction/effort to turn the wheels. Creating a short extension at the front - which can be adjusted as the need arises - means that there is less mass to spin...

This would be especially true for the Benchcrafted hardware, which works effortlessly as designed. This video was taken while I was still building mine. You don’t need to download the video to view it-just click on the thumbnail view in the lower left.

Link to video (link will expire 2019-11-08
Only issue with protruding the screws from the back is you need to arrange the nuts differently, not just in reverse, and glue the nut into the rear jaw so it won’t pop out, but it certainly could be done!

What finish did you use? I made mine out of white oak several years ago and haven’t finished it. I like your bevel on the edge too!
Benny

(10-15-2019, 06:27 PM)bennybmn Wrote: Only issue with protruding the screws from the back is you need to arrange the nuts differently, not just in reverse, and glue the nut into the rear jaw so it won’t pop out, but it certainly could be done!

I’m not sure I follow-the only thing that changes is how far the threaded rods are screwed into the nuts. The arrangement for the nuts and how they function remain unchanged.

Quote:What finish did you use? I made mine out of white oak several years ago and haven’t finished it. I like your bevel on the edge too!

Thanks! The finish is just a couple coats of BLO.
My version...
Confused

Right now, doing layout work...later will drop the board down low, and saw the lines....
Vise also comes in handy for other hand saw jobs..

Cross cutting 1 x 6s for length.....

can also clamp smaller parts in the vise...and joint them...
Cool

Or, hold assemblies in place...

To clean up glue joints...add hardware..

Even run a groove with a plough plane..

Or..just sit down and use a saw...

Works for me..YMMV..( One Vise to rule them all..)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that