The Sharpening of the saw formerly known as the Wally saw
Pedder: If I were you, I would re-tooth also. Alas, I am but a humble hobbyist at the very bottom of the learning curve. I think I will go ahead with the sharpening and see where it gets me. I fully intend to re-tooth at some point. Stay tuned. Phil

(10-08-2019, 04:35 AM)Pedder Wrote: Hi Phil,

i've seen worse. Like some other maker, I file all teeth frome the same side and all rip teeth one after the other. That was giving me much better results than changing teeth or changing sides.

To read more about this technique, look Andrew's blog: https://eccentrictoolworks.com/2010/06/1...ams-razor/

This saw I would retooth.

Cheers
Pedder
Derek: If you look in the background of the picture I posted you can see the magnifier that I intended to use: I got it from LN. I figure if its good enough to TLN, its probably good enough for me. My shop has an extensive lighting system and with the proper LED task lights I think I can make a go of it. But that magnifier with the built-in lights is on my shopping list! Phil

(10-08-2019, 04:48 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: That is a good magnifier. I have one. But a BETTER one has a built-in LED light that will shine on the teeth. Vision is everything when sharpening small teeth. 

I have one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor...936&sr=8-9

[Image: 71z-OUTAHzo-L-AC-SL1500.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Mike: My thoughts exactly. Try to sharpen, try again, and again, and finally get up the courage to file it all down and start over: baby steps! Phil

(10-08-2019, 09:09 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: That is a nice magnifier Derek.  The light is a good suggestion.

Pedder,  thanks for mentioning filing from one side only.  I think Phillip should learn how to retooth eventually, but the process of correcting the existing teeth as much as possible is valuable learning.  I would recommend he get a full saw of any quality and practice on some larger teeth too.  He should develop an understanding of rake and fleam and be able to clerly see the results.  To me, retoothing is an advanced skill that should be built on more experience.  It also consumes files at a great rate.
Pedder: 10 tpi sounds too easy: no challenge there. I am going for all the glory on this one! Phil

(10-08-2019, 11:21 AM)Pedder Wrote: No I said "I would retooth the saw". Forgot to write: If Phil send it to me. Its a short saw so short work for me. an hour or so.
Once I've overfiled a teeth in that quantum, the toothing is lost to me.
(That does not mean, you cannot saw with the saw. But I can't correct that filing.)

I second the idea of a hand sow for the training. I think something about 10 tpi is a good saw to start filing.

Cheers
Pedder
(10-10-2019, 04:05 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Derek: If you look in the background of the picture I posted you can see the magnifier that I intended to use: I got it from LN. I figure if its good enough to TLN, its probably good enough for me.  My shop has an extensive lighting system and with the proper LED task lights I think I can make a go of it.  But that magnifier with the built-in lights is on my shopping list!  Phil

Phil, I have had the LN-sold one for a number of years, and was pretty happy with it. My workshop does not have the best lighting, and my eyes are getting old. The directed light on the LED-based headset helps me. Otherwise it is a non-issue and you’ll be well supported by the one you have.

Incidentally, I learned to sharpen on 15 tpi. Probably not the best decision, but nothing scared me after mastering this.
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I tend to stop at 7ppi....when 2 teeth start to look like 4...

However...there IS a Hardware store about 20 miles away, where I can drop off my dull saws...then pick them up after the have been sharpened.    Local place picks the saw and whatever else needs a sharpening, then drops them back off at the store....then I can go over and pick them up....usually @ $0.60 per inch...Minimum is ~ $12 or so....

Last one I sharpened..
Confused

Was an 8ppi Panel saw....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that