Minimax 16
Anyone who is a owner of a Minimax 16 bandsaw, have you had issues with the circuit breaker switch?  I have replaced mine once and am again experiencing problems.  I believe it is due to the dust that migrates into the shaft of the machine that houses the switch.  I took it out and blew it out with compressed air and it still didnt work so I messed around holding the reset button in and kept pressing the on switch and it finally caught and started.  So for now I have dodged the $80.00 replacement switch but for how long, who knows.  Interested in your thoughts,
Mike

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
No problems here. Haven't had my switch out to look it over.
Could the back/top side be wrapped up with tape?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've only had mine 4 years, but it's a 2006 model and AFAIK there's never been a problem with the switch.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I replaced the switch about four years ago, so about nine years of use before it went out.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
My switch hasn't had an issue, but I've heard of some issues with the switches.

Solowoodworker has some notes:  http://solowoodworker.com/mm/switch.html
You might also get more specific advice at the minimax yahoo group.

Matt
(10-05-2019, 02:24 PM)Carheir Wrote: Anyone who is a owner of a Minimax 16 bandsaw, have you had issues with the circuit breaker switch?  I have replaced mine once and am again experiencing problems.  I believe it is due to the dust that migrates into the shaft of the machine that houses the switch.  I took it out and blew it out with compressed air and it still didnt work so I messed around holding the reset button in and kept pressing the on switch and it finally caught and started.  So for now I have dodged the $80.00 replacement switch but for how long, who knows.  Interested in your thoughts,

I've had mine since 2004 or 5, had to replace the switch once.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
You guys that replaced your switch, how much effort was that....just remove and replace?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-06-2019, 05:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You guys that replaced your switch, how much effort was that....just remove and replace?

I don't remember how much work it was (over 7 years ago!) but here's how you do it. This is from a thread I started in the Yahoo MiniMax User Forum.

--- In MiniMax-USA@yahoogroups.com, "erikloza2003" <erikloza@...> wrote:
Quote:>
> 1.) UNPLUG THE MACHINE FROM THE OUTLET.
>
> 2.) The switch has a cosmetic cover which is secured by either two or four Phillips screws. Remove them and set aside the cosmetic cover.
>
> 2.) The switch and cage will be visible. The switch is screwed into the cage and you must remove the cage and switch as one unit in ordfer to gain access to the switch.
>
> 3.) The cage will be retained by four metal "ears", one at each corner of the chassis cutout. Unscrew each ear and PLACE A FINGER ON THEM AS YOU ARE DOING THAT. They can fall into the chassis if you are not paying attention. Set the ears aside and pull the cage/switch unit out of the chassis cutout. You may find that loosening the bulkhead nut on the back of the chassis, where the main power wire travels from the motor into the chassis, gives you more slack and makes it easier to pull the cage/switch out for servicing.
>
> 4.) Make a not of the position of the colored wires and unscrew the switch from the cage. Install the new switch and replace all components in reverse order.
>
> One note: You may find it to be a good moment to spray the new switch with some electrical contact cleaner/lube. Good luck.
>
> Erik Loza
> Mini Max USA
>
> --- In MiniMax-USA@yahoogroups.com, "tkdawacs" <tkdawacs@> wrote:
> >
> > First, thanks again for all the input. Looks like we have it isolated to the power switch. I just received my new switch (plus coil) today.
> >
> > This is embarrassing, but it's not obvious to me how the switch mounts. How do I get the old one out?
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Aram
> >
>
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(10-06-2019, 05:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You guys that replaced your switch, how much effort was that....just remove and replace?

I took several photos of the wiring installation once I popped the housing out of the frame to make sure I got the wiring correct for the new switch. It was pretty straight forward. Took about 20 minutes for disassembly and reinstallation. There were a lot more wires to that thing than I expected.
Cellulose runs through my veins!