Menards
We getting one. Glad to hear it. Next closest was out near Columbus. Looking forward to the Plywood selection for one thing.

Coming soon a Menards near you

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Walmart with lumber. They are my go to for plywood, however. Their selection and quality is far better than Lowe's or HD.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
Of the big box stores, Menards is my preferred store.

Plywood selection is OK, I suppose.  It's better than the orange store, or the blue store, but there's still better to be had.

I really like the quality of framing lumber and the selection of various products like pressure-treated lumber, drywall, various sheet goods, and so on.  All of the Menards stores around here (there are four) have lumber yards that you can drive into and pull your trailer to the stock.  That allows you to pick the stuff and load the truck or trailer right there.  The staff is available to help if you want, and they'll use a forklift for appropriate materials.

Tool section is OK, the selection is better at HD.  But I usually buy my tools online anyway.
Be prepared to sort through a lot of boards that aren't fit for crating lumber to find a couple boards that are almost good enough to carry home.
Upset

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(10-06-2019, 03:46 PM)Foggy Wrote: Be prepared to sort through a lot of boards that aren't fit for crating lumber to find a couple boards that are almost good enough to carry home.
Upset

They do seem to be the only big box that carries #1 SYP that I find useful for shop projects.   But you might need to dig into the stack.

But the help is hit or miss.  I was looking for a Kreg driver.    Dumb looks from clerk #1 in the tool/hardware department,  explained it was for pocket holes.  "Oh, holes, the drill bits are over here."    "No, it is a diagonal hole that screws go in."  "Oh screws are in.."    NO NO NO.   Called over clerk #2 with same dumb looks and same explanations.   He called over clerk #3, while clerk #1 wandered off.   Gave up in frustration, walked over two aisles from where we were standing and found a whole bay of clearly marked Kreg tools and accessories.

Other instances, I'll ask in one department and they'll walk me halfway across the store and right to the correct bay.

And the monthly 11% off everything is a good deal as well as the frequent "free after rebate."
I have a Home Depot 5 miles away, Lowes is 35 miles away but most of my business goes to Menards 80 miles away from home.
Better selection and I don't have to wait for them to sell all of the cull lumber before they will break open another unit.
Home Depot here will not refill the lumber rack until the last unit is gone, Menards will set another unit on the concrete next to the rack if you ask.
Better selection, better prices and more eating options in Duluth so we go there.
Video 
I have had a Home Depot and a Lowes within a  mile of our Menards for over a decade.  I go into Lowes and Home Depot maybe once a year... just to look at the Dewalt tools mostly.  Menards stocks more  by far and I prefer loading lumber directly onto my trailer instead of a cart.

On a related note. I saw a few months ago Lowes making a big push for Craftsman tools. The other day I saw Craftsman tools at Menards. Weird.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(10-06-2019, 04:09 PM)bhh Wrote: .....
And the monthly 11% off everything is a good deal as well as the frequent "free after rebate."

About three years ago, right before Christmas they let you take the 11% off gift cards, also. You couldn’t use a gift card to buy a gift card, but otherwise it was a great deal.

Bought a 6000 watt generator, normally $650, on sale for $550.
Got in line  bought a $$600 gift card ($66 back)

Got back in line and paid for the generator with the gift card, (another $60 back).

They don’t do that anymore.