Bubinga PSA
Gilmer has a bunch of KILLER pieces of figured Bubinga. Please buy so that I can't.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Say, can you get some for me when you go? I don't know the area that well. 
Smirk
(10-06-2019, 09:54 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Say, can you get some for me when you go? I don't know the area that well. 
Smirk

No friggin' way am I driving to Portland.... 
Big Grin

Serious figure
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

What they call figured I've gotten as standard stock from Crosscut in Seattle. I wouldn't call that stuff figured. I have some quilted bubinga veneer I got from B&B Rare Woods that is pretty spectacular stuff.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(10-07-2019, 08:40 AM)SteveS Wrote: What they call figured I've gotten as standard stock from Crosscut in Seattle. I wouldn't call that stuff figured. I have some quilted bubinga veneer I got from B&B Rare Woods that is pretty spectacular stuff.

i know what you are saying, but I bought a couple of boards and they definitely have a lot going on. There's more chatoyance and figure than you might think from the picture. I have a stash of "regular" Bubinga, and nice as it is, it is not the same by a long shot.

I've seen the spectacular quilted/waterfall/whatever that you are referring too, and yeah, that's at a higher level. Also costs a boatload more for solid wood!
Best,
Aram, always learning

(10-07-2019, 08:40 AM)SteveS Wrote: What they call figured I've gotten as standard stock from Crosscut in Seattle. I wouldn't call that stuff figured. I have some quilted bubinga veneer I got from B&B Rare Woods that is pretty spectacular stuff.

This is interesting... I thought they were part of Gilmer?  

I've typically only gone to CC to check out their variety of species. When it comes down to cool looking stuff, to me, price always dictates my choices. And, several years ago I chose to ignore all species foreign to the USA, and even non-west-coast species if character was similar to what we could yield, here. Often, I have first sources (direct from mill) for many of the local species which are half price and vastly bigger in volume.

I love the look of Cherry, an Eastern species, but can live with the Alder imitator. Maple is amply satisfied by our local Big Leaf species. None of our oaks will match Eastern varieties but then, I am not that fond of oak.

Besides, my hoarding instincts outclass any project practicalities, and; pest control is a big headache.
(10-07-2019, 11:41 AM)Aram Wrote: i know what you are saying, but I bought a couple of boards and they definitely have a lot going on. There's more chatoyance and figure than you might think from the picture.  I have a stash of "regular" Bubinga, and nice as it is, it is not the same by a long shot.

I've seen the spectacular quilted/waterfall/whatever that you are referring too, and yeah, that's at a higher level. Also costs a boatload more for solid wood!

IME, it's flat sawn vs quarter sawn. QS has much more chatoyance than FS. I've got a bit of both. I even found a pommelle figured board in the pile of boards at Crosscut a number of years ago.

Crosscut is not affiliated with Gilmer.
(10-07-2019, 12:57 PM)SteveS Wrote: IME, it's flat sawn vs quarter sawn. QS has much more chatoyance than FS. I've got a bit of both. I even found a pommelle figured board in the pile of boards at Crosscut a number of years ago.

Crosscut is not affiliated with Gilmer.

Cook woods has some sick pomelle Sapele. Like this.

Sapele at Cook

If I did the math right, it's about $180/board-foot. Nice work if you can get it.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(10-07-2019, 11:12 PM)Aram Wrote: Cook woods has some sick pomelle Sapele. Like this.

Sapele at Cook

If I did the math right, it's about $180/board-foot. Nice work if you can get it.

Yes. I got some ropey quilt sapele from crosscut for $15/bd ft. But the pommelle I was referring to is pommelle bubinga. Not common figure. I also have gotten a fair bit of pommelle and quilted sapele from B&B.

Amateur woodworkers create their own wood dilemas. 

I have gone into a local Rocky's and had to ask where the curly maple was.... even when a whole rack of common straight grain contained the label. I never worked in hardwoods mills, but I recall graders ignore, or mark down figured wood. Figure is not a consideration in grading. Even Home Despot has good curly maple, but unless I have a screaming immediate need for one stick, it's too costly at their prices.

There is little incentive to call "Foul" when your favorite--or, less--dealer is amateur grading the No. 2 and better deliveries for super dooper, top of the line grade. As if the mill grader went on break while the chain was rolling and missed the possible No. 1 that the store dealer is hawking at two steps up. I am there looking for the [possible] No. 1 board too. 

I will probably ignore Cook as a source. A lot of that junk is scrap from commercial furniture and cabinet shops that dealers purchase, or accept for lunch money.