Performax thickness sander problems
I have a Performax 22-44 sander and I just cant seem to get the sandpaper on the drum tight enough. I have the paper oriented on the drum correctly, following the arrow on the paper, but i cant seem to get the ends tight enough in those crappy clips and I just trashed two rolls that came loose when I fired it up and the ends flapped until they were ruined. What the hell am I doing wrong?
I had the Ryobi version, which appeared to be a knock off of the Performix.  On mine, there was one side where the clip was fixed in position and on the other side, the clip was spring loaded to provide tension.  The spring loaded side was on the motor side.  It made a difference if I didn't start on the fixed side.
Both sides have a spring clip, but the one near the motor, like you said is the one that is supposed to hold tension on the sandpaper. Thing is, the way the machine is designed, while I can push the paper through there and let the clip grab, it’s not pulling any tension. And I can’t get my fingers in there to pull on the sandpaper to make sure it’s tight.
I too had problems the clips holding the paper roll snug on a Ryboi drum sander.   I finally ditched the clips and installed screw-in clips as shown the last post here. https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/39997

It is not quick change, bu I have never had a roll of paper come loose since making the modification.

Warren
I buy the long rolls of paper from Klingspor and cut my own pieces. I have the same unit and have found that you must start with the clip away from the motor and wind towards the motor. I have to clip a little bit of the paper off the end so it doesn't come to a point - less paper in the clip area makes it easier to get some tension on it. Just don't clip it too short - I probably have the end about 1/2 inch wide. After clipping it in on the motor side, I find that it is best to tension it again by rubbing the palm of my hand on the paper as I slowly spin the drum to take some additional slack out of the paper. I also run one board through and then check the tension once again. It's good to go after that. Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(10-07-2019, 09:47 AM)starkw1 Wrote: I too had problems the clips holding the paper roll snug on a Ryboi drum sander.   I finally ditched the clips and installed screw-in clips as shown the last post here. https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/39997

It is not quick change, bu I have never had a roll of paper come loose since making the modification.

Warren

Warren, that is a good solution.  I'm going to have to remember this for my sander.

Thanks,
Paul
(10-06-2019, 07:59 PM)gtrboy77 Wrote: I have a Performax 22-44 sander and I just cant seem to get the sandpaper on the drum tight enough.  I have the paper oriented on the drum correctly, following the arrow on the paper, but i cant seem to get the ends tight enough in those crappy clips and I just trashed two rolls that came loose when I fired it up and the ends flapped until they were ruined.  What the hell am I doing wrong?

I do not have your sander but I have a drum sander I made. I use PSA paper and install a hose clamp on each end. This keeps the ends from unraveling. If hose clamps are not practical try duct tape on the ends. I used duct tape when I first tried my drum sander, worked fine. I switched to the hose clamps because it was faster and easier. 
mike