Bandsaw Speeds
Go out to the shop this afternoon to finish up some cuts on the bandsaw for a project.  Should take about 15, maybe 20 minutes tops.  Of course that's not counting on have the veebelt fly apart about 3 minutes into it grrrrrr.  Oh well, could be a lot worse.  Anyway, Rikon 14 " bandsaw with two speeds available on the pulley, 1445 ft/min or the faster 2950 ft/min.  Manual gives no guidance as to what speed for what application.  I'm thinking the 2950 is for general woodworking and the slower speed maybe for metal application?  Also judging by the worn belt looking debris in the grooves of the 2950 pulley I believe that's probably where I was set.  So when I get a new belt, I'll set up at the 2950 ft/min setting unless I hear otherwise.  Conformation on my assessment or info to the contrary would be appreciated.  Thanks

meanderawlwoodshop.blog
(10-08-2019, 05:59 PM)meanderawl Wrote: ...1445 ft/min...I'm thinking...maybe for metal application?...

Not a chance!

Metal cutting is ~200 fpm.
Wood is good. 
(10-08-2019, 06:22 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Not a chance!

Metal cutting is ~200 fpm.

Ferrous metal 200 fpm.  Non-Ferrous metals on the slow speed pulley.
You want the higher speed for cutting wood.  

John
(10-08-2019, 05:59 PM)meanderawl Wrote: Go out to the shop this afternoon to finish up some cuts on the bandsaw for a project.  Should take about 15, maybe 20 minutes tops.  Of course that's not counting on have the veebelt fly apart about 3 minutes into it grrrrrr.  Oh well, could be a lot worse.  Anyway, Rikon 14 " bandsaw with two speeds available on the pulley, 1445 ft/min or the faster 2950 ft/min.  Manual gives no guidance as to what speed for what application.  I'm thinking the 2950 is for general woodworking and the slower speed maybe for metal application?  Also judging by the worn belt looking debris in the grooves of the 2950 pulley I believe that's probably where I was set.  So when I get a new belt, I'll set up at the 2950 ft/min setting unless I hear otherwise.  Conformation on my assessment or info to the contrary would be appreciated.  Thanks

meanderawlwoodshop.blog

I would use the 2950 . If I understand correctly the lower speed is also for wood not metal. Apparently the lower speed is for thick material.
As others posted metal cutting speeds are 200 Fpm or less.

mike
Yep, cutting metal with a band saw you want SLOW speed.
Similar to drilling, the usually found motors are too fast
for metal use.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Been away from the computer for a few days but did just want to say thanks for the responses and input.  BTW, happened to be within driving distance of Woodcraft the other day.  They had the belt I needed, got home , had it installed in a matter of minutes and we're up and running again.  Actually took longer to clean the goop from the old belt out of the pulley grooves than to install the new one.

meanderawlwoodshop.blog
Blade Speeds for metal based on material thickness and alloy:

Steel <200 fpm
Aluminum 400-2700 fpm
Copper 350-3000 fpm
Zinc 1000-2600 fpm
Magnesium 3500-4500 fpm.

Delta made a 20" bandsaw that was two speed and it was labeled as a wood/metal bandsaw.  The instructions stated non-ferrous metals only.

Not all metals are steel.  Stop thinking that way.