General 350 Table Saw
The top on my saw has a crack in it. It is about 13/16" right of the throat plate opening. The crack is not al the way through and it is less noticalbe at the back than the front.

The saw itself is at least 20 yrs old, however, the top was replaced at least 10 yrs ago due to it warpping.  The crack at the widest point is about 1/16" wide and deep and would trying to fill it with J.B. Weld keep the crack from espandinig?

Thank you for your help,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
I would drill a small hole in each end of the crack to try to keep it from spreading.
Then fill the crack.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
+1 what Pirate said.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
(10-09-2019, 04:43 PM)Pirate Wrote: I would drill a small hole in each end of the crack to try to keep it from spreading.
Then fill the crack.

Thanks! Fill with J.B. Weld?
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
How deep do you drill?

While I have heard about drilling holes at the beginning and end of a cast iron crack to keep it from spreading,  I have never heard if you drill completely through or to a certain, unspecified depth.....
All the way through. It stops the crack from propagating further.
Then see why the crack started in the first place. Lack of support underneath or stress points where bolts connect and possibly "pulled" a section that didn't line up right.
If the top was replaced once, that may mean there is a problem with stress somewhere. A washer missing, a bad cast or fit that needs shimming....
(10-11-2019, 02:55 PM)cvillewood Wrote: All the way through. It stops the crack from propagating further.

I think it is just bade manufacturing. It is the main table and the wings and it has been years since it has been adjusted and the cracks just became noticeable. I talked to a welder and he said he could braze them, but my thinking is, will more cracks develope. As long as it stays reasonably flat, I will use my crosscut sled.  I have another saw I can use for ripping.  There is just one very noticeable crack; the rest or hardly noticeable.

Thank you,
Herb
(10-28-2019, 06:17 PM)Herb Wrote: I think it is just bade manufacturing. It is the main table and the wings and it has been years since it has been adjusted and the cracks just became noticeable. I talked to a welder and he said he could braze them, but my thinking is, will more cracks develope. As long as it stays reasonably flat, I will use my crosscut sled.  I have another saw I can use for ripping.  There is just one very noticeable crack; the rest or hardly noticeable.

Thank you,

You've been given some good advice on how to prevent the crack from spreading and repairing it. Would definitely "V" it out before filling it with JB Weld and then grinding/polishing it down smoothly even with the top.

Doug