Hot Glue Gun
I am interested in a Hot Glue Gun but have no idea how to select one.  Used my wife's once and the glue did not hold.  She is extreeeemly frugal so I'm thinking it was not a quality gun.  I like quality but unwilling to spend more than $50.

Is 100 watt enough?  Is there much difference in the quality of the glue sticks?  What do I need to avoid when looking at the hundreds available?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have a polyurethane hot glue gun (wireless).  The P/U glue is very, very strong, but has a limited shelf life. 

It is not the glue gun that is at fault, it is the glue stick that you are using. 

The problem with high quality glue sticks is that they want you to buy a lot at a time and that is expensive.

Here is everything you need to know about glue sticks.  Your current glue gun is almost certainly fine.

https://www.hotmelt.com/blogs/blog/the-u...tick-guide
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have two hot glue guns. One using normal sized sticks and the other mini sized. The mini is better for small areas.

I bought mine at craft stores(JoAnn's Fabrics---LOML's candy store and she has tons of coupons). I get sticks there as well, but recently bought a bag of Gorilla glue sticks.

Two things I do to maximize the adhesion. First, wait until the gun is fully heated. Cold glue is really hard to squirt. Hot glue is almost too easy to squirt. 

Second, maintain pressure at the joint for several seconds(10-20). I use tongue depressors(bags full at craft store), screwdriver, stick of scrap wood, whatever is handy---since the glue is initially HOT!

Strings are a problem is is impossible to fully cure. So, I wait til they dry and just use scissors to trim off.
(10-11-2019, 06:46 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am interested in a Hot Glue Gun but have no idea how to select one.  Used my wife's once and the glue did not hold.  She is extreeeemly frugal so I'm thinking it was not a quality gun.  I like quality but unwilling to spend more than $50.

Is 100 watt enough?  Is there much difference in the quality of the glue sticks?  What do I need to avoid when looking at the hundreds available?

I'm not sure the gun itself relates to holding power of the glue. What are you hoping to do with it and how often do you plan to use it?
I'm sure I didn't spend more than $20 on mine, probably 10 yrs ago, and it still works whenever I need to pull it out.
I've got the Dewalt plug in, which looks like a craft glue gun on steroids. It uses a large glue stick, and takes a few minutes to heat up, so it is not an immediate use item. If you try to use it before it is at full temperature, the advancing mechanism doesn't work well and you get a stringy mess.

Because it is targeted at construction, the glue sets quick and holds strong. Setting quick can be a double edged sword. The glue is also fairly thick and does not compress well. It is not a tool I reach for often. It falls between carpet tape and CA glue for a fast hold without mechanical fasteners.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(10-11-2019, 06:46 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am interested in a Hot Glue Gun but have no idea how to select one.  Used my wife's once and the glue did not hold.  She is extreeeemly frugal so I'm thinking it was not a quality gun.  I like quality but unwilling to spend more than $50.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to clean up a glob of glue that missed its intended target before it cools down (instinct/reaction)
DAMHIK, Ouch! 400 degrees hurts, and does leave a mark...
(10-11-2019, 10:45 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Whatever you do, do not attempt to clean up a glob of glue that missed its intended target before it cools down (instinct/reaction)
DAMHIK, Ouch! 400 degrees hurts, and does leave a mark...

+1.  BTW,  I think the gun is misnamed.  I touched some glue once just as it was leaving the tip, it should be called Extremely Hot Glue Gun.